Background Information - Job-specific
Background and Information - Peace and Security Center
The UNOPS Peace and Security Center (PSC) is the main service provider in the field of action against antipersonnel mines with the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), UNDP, UNICEF, the governments of the countries affected by the mines and others associated with the mines. The PSC is responsible for administering, providing support and supervising the day-to-day management of the Project field offices, verifying both the requirements of the partners, as well as the UNOPS rules and regulations. It is directed by the director of the center who has the general authority and responsibility for the execution of the Center for Peace and Security on behalf of its partners.
Program in Colombia
In Colombia, UNOPS executes the UNMAS program with the objective of supporting the Office of the High Commissioner for Peace. Through the Quality and Information Management project, with the objective of improving the coordination capacity, operational management and efficiency of the mine action sector in Colombia in order to respond to the needs of the affected communities in a comprehensive manner and contribute to broader objectives of protection, security and peacebuilding.
Under the direct supervision of the Quality Management Coordinator, the Information Management Assistant must support the development of the necessary tools to manage and maintain the program data and the geographic information of the external quality assurance and control implemented by UNMAS Colombia.
Database Administration and GIS
- Assist the development and maintenance of the Database and the GIS.
- Make periodic backup copies of the Database and the GIS, ensuring that copies are stored and maintained securely.
- Contribute to the development of UNMAS Colombia staff training to facilitate the processes of registration, consultation and data reporting.
- Support the training of Quality Monitors to facilitate the process of consultation and reporting from the field.
- Perform operational reports and make requisitions on the hardware and software necessary for the operation of the Database and the GIS.
Mapping and analysis
- Maintain the tool for monitoring context and security incidents; and prepare reports for the Mine Action sub-group.
- Support the design and maintenance of the maps of the implementation areas of the external Quality Management so that it is possible to see the deployment of the operation, the compliance status of the tasks and other relevant data.
- Support the monitoring and analysis of results of external quality assurance and control, and use geospatial tools to show the results.
- Prepare specific maps required by UNMAS Colombia.
Data capture and report to the national authority
- Ensure that the data obtained in the field by the Quality Monitors are transferred in a timely manner to the national authority through the peripheral system.
- Ensure that reports validated by the national authority are included in the IMSMA.
- Perform any other relevant duties assigned by the supervisor.
Education / Experience / Language requirements
- Master's Degree in Civil Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Environmental Engineering Management and Urban Development, Surveying or related careers with a minimum of one (1) year of experience OR:
- Professional degree in Civil Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Environmental Engineering Management and Urban Development, Surveying or related careers with a minimum of two (2) years of experience
- The relevant experience is defined as the experience in Cen Civil Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Environmental Engineering Management and Urban Development, Surveying or related careers
- Demonstrated and applicable experience in ArcGIS, and other georeferenced systems is a plus
- Knowledge of IMSMA and the peripheral system of the Directorate DESCONTAMINA COLOMBIA is desirable.
- Desirable basic knowledge of mine action
- Spanish domain is required.
- Intermediate English is required