Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council / Danish Demining Group (DRC/DDG) assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
In Myanmar, DRC has been present since 2009, and since June 2012 broadened its presence via the Danish Demining Group (DDG) - DRC’s division for Mine Action.
DRC/DDG is currently engaged in responses in Rakhine, Kachin, Kayah and Northern Shan states. Our response targets displaced and displacement affected communities and other vulnerable communities in some of the most deprived areas of Myanmar. Key activities include protection (including Child Protection, GBV and Protection Monitoring), CCCM, WASH, Livelihoods, shelter and mine action.
DRC/DDG Myanmar currently employs over 373 national, 34 international staff and operates from six operational offices. Our main office is in Yangon; our main donors in Myanmar include ECHO, OFDA, UNICEF, UNHCR, DANIDA, SDC, DFAT, LIFT, USAID, DFID, EC and private donors.
Overall purpose of the role:
Responsible for the management, analysis and sharing of data related to DRC/DDG Myanmar Mine Action program activities as well as landmines / Unexploded Ordnance (UXO) victims in DRC/DDG areas of operations, with the aim to provide reliable, quality and comprehensive information that supports the development of an evidence-based humanitarian response.
Geographic scope: Area (Myanmar)
This role has a country focus and ensures compliance to DRC/DDG procedures and guidelines within the country. The role contributes to the development of Mine Action country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to DRC/DDG Myanmar country operations while overseeing country activities.
Information management strategy and standards
- Contribute to the development of DRC/DDG’s information management strategy by reviewing information needs and gaps, evaluating current information management processes and tools and drafting an information collection and management plan in support of DRC/DDG Myanmar mine action operations.
- Ensure the compliance of information systems and process with the applicable standards and guidelines related to information management and data protection, including DRC/DDG’s mine action guidelines and operational procedures.
Data management and analysis
- Ensure effective data management by developing data collection tools and methodologies, designing and managing database systems for data management and analysis purposes.
- Ensure availability of updated and quality information for informed decision-making by DRC/DDG’s mine action program team by identifying pertinent variables, including analyzing and interpreting multiples datasets, identifying trends and patterns in the Myanmar mine action sector and relevant humanitarian needs affecting DRC/DDG’s populations of concerns.
- Manage the DRC/DDG Myanmar mine action Fulcrum database and the Power BI reporting tool.
- Drafts information products such as reports, charts and infographics by turning data into graphic products to facilitate the dissemination of information to external stakeholders for the purpose of reporting, information sharing and advocacy. To this end, designs the layouts of reporting and presentation templates using graphic design programs ensuring the attractiveness and clarity of the information products.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a dissemination plan for all information products, including the definition of standard operating procedures for clearing information products for release.
IM Technical Supporting and Reporting
- Provide technical expertise in Information management to the DRC/DDG mine action teams and closely work with the MRE/NTS teams and M&E support teams
- Train Fulcrum users on data entry, data checking and reports development,
- Provide guidance and training to DRC/DDG mine action teams on the use of data collection tools, IM and GIS Systems,
- Maintain the casualty / accidents database updated with all former and new casualty data and provide internal reports as required,
- Prepare weekly summary data for MRE teams and monthly reports for DSW, Operational statistics and Output trackers for MRE and NTS teams,
- Prepare the infographic maps for donor reports and internal requirement.
- *Perform any other relevant tasks as requested by Line Manager.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in information management, database management, mapping and web development,
- Knowledge of different data collection methodologies and proven capacity to analyze statistical information,
- Proven abilities in data collection, compilation, analysis and reporting with ability to write in a clear and concise manner and effective oral communication.
- Proven skills in infographic management.
- University degree in Information Technology, Information Systems, Statistics, Social Sciences or a relevant field.
- Advanced English proficiency
- Fluency in local language (Myanmar)
- Ability to work closely with a diverse team of individuals in a highly intense and fluid work environment
- Capacity to spark innovative approaches to programming and to inspire groups to collaborate closely to implement high-quality programs
- Ability to navigate complex situations with diplomacy
- Ability to manage ambiguity, frustration and stress in self and others
- Confident and decisive leadership
- Desire and ability to learn and grow, both personally and professionally.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members is required
- Demonstrated experience and ability to professionally and appropriately represent the organization and negotiate and defend DRC/DDG’s interests with a diverse range of government officials, local organizations and other groups