The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in more than 35 countries around the world. DRC has been operating in Somalia for more than twenty years, where we assist returnees, IDPs and displacement-affected communities in all three regions (Somaliland, Puntland, and Central and Southern Somalia) through protection, service delivery and livelihoods activities to enhance their self-reliance and expand opportunities for a dignified life. DRC provides both humanitarian assistance and longer-term development support to respond to the needs of communities affected by acute crisis as well as those in protracted displacement situations. In the past year, DRC’s strategic focus has shifted towards more durable solutions-oriented programming, linking displacement affected communities to longer-term initiatives to build resilience and recovery.
In December 2017, DRC was awarded a 100,000,000 Danish Kroner (16,500,000 USD) grant for a period of three years, to implement a programme in Somalia to deliver integrated durable solutions for displacement-affected communities. The programme will focus on outcomes for IDPs, returnees and host communities in protection, water and sanitation, livelihoods, self-reliance, social accountability, government service delivery and knowledge management.
Overall Purpose of the role: The IT Officer is responsible for providing IT support to the DRC/DDG Dollow/Kismayo Office. Works closely with Country ICT Coordinator.
- Ensure that there is a well-functioning ICT service in DRC/DDG Dollow/Kismayo and its sub offices.
- Function as the main point of contact for IT related issues in DRC/DDG Dollow/Kismayo office and as well sub offices under Dolow
- Ensure all systems in Dollow area offices are complied with DRC Dynamics system.
- Installation and use of software and other communication equipment to maintain day to day operations.
- Monitor the LAN and wireless connectivity and troubleshoot problems presented in a timely manner.
- Carry out simple Troubleshoot/diagnose problems reported and react accordingly to support users in the offices
- Liaise with the Country ICT Coordinator regarding innovations roll-outs.
- Reinforce the IT policy to the end users.
- Ensure that IT Equipment’s procured conforms to DRC minimum standards
- Prepare an inventory schedule of all IT equipment and software in use and in the store.
- Install, configure, and maintain network services, equipment and devices.
- Ensure daily data backup happens in the office for everyone. Automatic data backup should be configured for everyone including expat staff and all national staff and also give detailed report on every month to the area manager and Country ICT.
- Ensure every machine has got valid and updated antivirus and give full reports every month. You should always have extra licenses for the antivirus and you should plan before expire months.
- Ensure every machine has got all necessary software e.g. Adop acrobat 9 pro, adop reader, Office 2016/19, Win ZIP , WinRAR, Browsing apps.
- Ensure maintenance for all the machines is done at least 2 or 3 times a year
- Troubleshoot. Ensure all the problems raised are solved on time and let Country ICT know if it is not possible to be solved on time
- Manage and control office internet. Who is doing what and the bandwidth is used in proper way and utilized
- Ensure all the social website and video streaming websites are blocked in the working hours.
- Ensure there is backup internet in place to use if the main internet is down. Make sure to solve internet problems on time if the problem is local and if it is outside make sure to communicate with the ISP and give information back to the management on how long it will take to solve.
- Ensure the network of the office is done in proper way and there is strong signal available in every corner of the office. There should be no visible wires on the walls and the structure should look nice and covered.
- Ensure there is at least two main network printers in every office compound and staffs should be able to print wirelessly. There should not be small printers in every office except HR and finance who always print confidential documents.
- Closely work with area logistics to ensure you have the updated IT inventory list and can advise anytime required. Involve the disposing process and identify which item should be disposed and what reason
- Support and configure the Microtik router to ensure proper utilizations of office internet
- Monitor the LAN and wireless connectivity and troubleshoot problems presented in a timely manner
- Carry out simple and brief, on the job training for staff as requested (Office 365, Lync, SharePoint).
- Advise and instruct staff (users) on IT best practices, internet and e-mail usage and appropriate course of action where problems are encountered.
- Support All sub offices under Dolow office and visit when it is necessary for you to be on ground to solve IT problems
Experience and technical competencies:
- University Degree in ICT
- Minimum 3-year experience in similar position with an INGO/NGO Organization preferably in Somalia context
- Excellent Organization skills, self-motivated, proactive and able to accomplish set deadlines
- Good computer skills-especially IT software
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Fluency in local spoken languages.