OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The position is located in the Bureau of Digital Business Solutions in the Sector for Administration and Management .
Digital technologies play a key role in the fulfilment of UNESCO’s mandate and the delivery of its programme. To support and enable the strategic transformation agenda, new digital technologies are being implemented across the Organization. The Bureau of Digital Business Solutions (DBS) plays a key role in this implementation. DBS serves as the Secretariat for the Organization’s digital transformation governance, facilitating the development and evolution of the One-UNESCO Digital Strategy.
As a key partner in the implementation of this strategy, the Bureau’s work includes the design and deployment of coherent and integrated corporate solutions to support the delivery of UNESCO’s programmatic outputs, while ensuring that all digital/IT services remain functional and operational at all times, and information management, digital/IT risk mitigation and cybersecurity measures are in place.
The objectives and outputs of the Bureau are highly service oriented, requiring business engagement, customer focus and innovative digital solutions. New ways of working are needed that provide both effectiveness and efficiency in solution delivery, built on best in class principles of user experience design and digital/IT architectures.
Located in the IT Operations and Service Section and under the direct supervision of the Senior IT Operations and Service Manager, the Infrastructure Operations Officer contributes to the delivery of the Bureau’s outputs and digital transformation as a whole, and is responsible for enabling a stable and secure IT digital infrastructure environment, designing and delivering technical initiatives that simplify the organization’s digital landscape, and optimizing customer-centric services.
The key responsibilities of the role are as follows:
- Play a key role in running system and network infrastructures and implementing fit-for-purpose enterprise infrastructure projects.
- Substantively support systems and network operations staff on designing and implementing secure features, both for on-premise and external Cloud environments, delivering digital services to external and internal users/customers.
- Investigate and resolve system operations issues.
- Ensure all assigned service requests are resolved within defined service performance levels, and actively communicate and where appropriate interface with users and technology suppliers to resolve any operational issues.
- Support the operational security of Cloud environments.
- Maintain strong links with field unit IT staff and contractors and ensure that appropriate operational support is delivered globally.
- Work closely with the development team for monitoring and application development, business continuity planning, disaster recovery planning, capacity engineering, reliability improvement initiatives and digital platform optimization.
- Implement the latest technologies to improve infrastructure and network performance and security, ensuring digital information systems are maintained at optimal levels.
- Manage relationships and contracts with vendors, including digital platforms, telecommunication and multimedia companies, network providers, etc.
- Document IT infrastructure, system operations and other related policy and procedural documents as defined by organizational standards.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in computer science, information systems, or a related field.
- A first-level university degree in computer science, information systems, or a related field, in combination with two (2) additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum of four (4) years years of progressively responsible and relevant professional experience managing secure IT network and infrastructure environments, including PCs, mobile, cloud-based systems and customer focused infrastructure services delivery, of which preferably two (2) years acquired at international level.
- Experience in vendor and stakeholder management.
- Experience handling complex service requests with tact and diplomacy.
- Experience working in a client facing role.
Skills & Competencies
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and ability to speak and present effectively, concisely and persuasively.
- Excellent coordination, organization and planning skills.
- Strong analytical skills and problem solving skills.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to take initiative and to manage competing priorities, with a strong capacity for accuracy, close attention to detail and quality of work.
- Ability to deliver a high quality service in a timely manner; strong client orientation focus.
- Ability to provide quality and timely support and services.
- Excellent knowledge of English (oral and written).