INGO Coordination Advisor
Mercy Corps, Dohuk, Iraq
Closing Date for Applications:
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Coordination & Reporting
- Provide appropriate and efficient coordination between humanitarian partners in North-East Syria
- Ensure that partners work collectively, towards complementarity, coherence and harmonization of assistance delivery.
- Convene and facilitate regular field level coordination meetings and ensure that they are well-managed, action and results-oriented and documented, with decisions/action points clearly communicated to the partners.
- Establish/maintain appropriate coordination mechanisms between field level and regional Syria Response structures.
- Ensuring effective information sharing both within the N-East Syria partners and between N-East Syria working INGOs and regional Syria Response clusters (WoS, clusters/hubs and NGO Forums). Disseminate relevant materials, reports, documentations, meeting minutes etc. Ensure all the partners are informed about field level and regional level coordination meetings and events.
- Consolidate INGO coverage reports, provide coverage mapping and gaps analysis for N-East Syria, and provide regular feedback to the INGO community.
- Assess coordination/communication gaps and priorities, gather lessons learned/feedback from other Syria Response coordination structures (regional or hub level, clusters, fora) and recommend the most effective coordination model for N-East Syria.
- Assess and advise INGOs on coordination funding.
- Submit monthly workplans and activity reports to INGOs representation in N-East Syria.
- Maintain contact database, as well as collaborative working platform for the partners.
- In coordination/communication with all other partners attend regional level cluster/sector coordination meetings.
- Network and conduct outreach to regional coordination structure representatives.
- Act as entry/focal point for any new INGO planning expansion for the area.
Preparedness and Capacity Building
- Coordinate emergency preparedness and contingency planning among INGOs.
- Promote and support training of humanitarian personnel and capacity building of humanitarian partners.
- Advise on training opportunities.
- Support efforts to strengthen the capacity of the national/local partners and civil society.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in related field; international relationship, economics or related field preferred. Masters preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in humanitarian response including, work experience within Syria Response context is a must.
- Previous experience in coordination role, ideally in Syria Response context – highly preferred.
- Understanding of the international humanitarian response architecture, including coordination mechanisms, humanitarian reform and action, and funding mechanisms (e.g. Consolidated Appeals Process, Central Emergency Response Fund and Flash Appeals).
- Experience of chairing/facilitating meetings.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of stakeholders and develop consensus and harmonized approaches.
- Sectoral (food, security, livelihoods, etc.) technical background will be an asset.
- Ability to work productively in a pressurized environment and to maintain visibly high levels of morale in difficult circumstances.
- Fluent spoken and written English is required. Good command of Arabic is an advantage