UNDP is the UN Development Programme and works in some 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. UNDP helps countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities and build resilience in order to sustain development results. In 2017, UNDP is continuing to work to support the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the 17 new Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), as they help shape global sustainable development for the next 15 years.
The UNDP JPOSC is an end-to-end human resource service centre. It administers the Junior Professional Officer (JPO) Programme whose overall goal is to provide young professionals the opportunity to gain experience in the field of international development cooperation, and as such to build capacities for the global development sector, while providing UNDP and other UN organizations with young talent with promising professional development.
Under the authority of the JPOSC Manager and the supervision of the above-mentioned staff member, the intern will contribute to the development and the maintenance of client-oriented services, and ensure that the JPOSC follows a model of excellence.
Training, learning and other perks:
As a full member of the JPOSC team, the intern will:
- Participate in in-house training opportunities as applicable
- Learn the structure, mechanisms, policies and practice areas of UNDP
- Participate in dedicated trainings and UNDP online learning tools
- Strengthen his/her effective writing skills
- Participate in working groups
- Enjoy networking with close to 2000 personnel from 11 UN agencies and programmes at the UN City
- Enjoy the free gym facilities
Duties and Responsibilities:
Human Resources Reporting:
- Assist in analysing and compiling the results of the yearly satisfaction surveys targeting JPOSC clients:
- Review and update the survey questionnaires
- Compile and analyse survey results
- Prepare various presentations on survey results
- Follow up on the 2004-2018 retention report
- Other related activities, as applicable
Support management of JPOSC data and networks
- Assist in updating the JPOSC Database (Microsoft Access)
- Provide support in data analysis and statistics (Excel)
Support and enhancement of the JPOSC Mentoring and Buddy Programmes
- Support the management of the Programmes (communication & liaising with potential Buddies, etc.)
- Support the evaluation of the Programmes with mentors and mentees (report of survey results)
Support the integration of JPO/SARC entitlements in JPOSC Finance activities:
Under the supervision of the JPOSC Finance Analyst, preparation of financial analysis, overviews and/or reports
- Support to any ad hoc activities related to the JPOSC-managed Programmes
- Provide support for JPO pre-departure briefing
- Demonstrating and/or safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrating corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Ability to draft and write reports;
- Ability to create charts and interpret data;
- Communication skills;
- Computer literacy;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience:
Interns may be accepted if the following conditions are met:
- Applicants must meet the following minimum educational requirements: a) Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher) OR; b) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent) OR; c) Have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation.
- Applicants shall have an excellent command of spoken and written English. Knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage
Preferred field of studies: Social or Political Science, Economics, Business Administration, Human Resources and Communication.
- IT skills: Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Pack. Knowledge of database management software is an asset.
- Language skills: Fluency in English is required. Good working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an asset.