Intern – Infrastructure and Project Management
United Nations Office for Project Services, Bangkok, Thailand
Closing Date for Applications:
Background Information - UNOPS
- UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
- Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
- With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
- A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information - Job-specific
- The Office of the Regional Director for Asia has oversight of UNOPS operations in Asia and the Pacific, and has a role in supporting all the country operations, overseeing strategic initiatives, as well as promoting regional visibility, and coordinating with HQ.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Infrastructure Advisor, the intern’s role would be to support the activities aimed at increasing infrastructure capacity and project management support on infrastructure projects in the region and undertake the following responsibilities:.
- Assisting the Regional Infrastructure Advisor in actioning and monitoring the regional infrastructure strategy activities
- Assisting the Regional Infrastructure advisor in providing technical support to project and country teams
- Contribute to the development of high quality communication and documentation to provide guidance on key UNOPS infrastructure processes/requirements/risk management
- Contribute to the researching and analysing information on projects, partners, and potential areas for UNOPS engagement across the region
- Meeting preparation - Support the preparation of briefing materials ahead of meetings between UNOPS and partners (e.g. talking points, background notes, bios, data sheets, etc.) and support the drafting of minutes of the meetings.
- Ad hoc support to the ORD team as required, including support to the regional gender responsive project management advisor, contributing to training and development, knowledge sharing, preparation for internal and external conferences and other events.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and enc...
- Education/Experience/Language requirements
- Minimum First level university degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in Engineering, Architecture, or related field is required.
- Must be currently enrolled in a university programme such as Bachelor, Masters or PhD. (or the equivalent) or have graduated from such studies within three years prior to the date of the application of the internship programme.
- Master’s level qualification in engineering, architecture or project management field is desirable.
- Knowledge of PRINCE2 approach to project management is an asset
- Professional experience in the field of engineering, design, construction, project management and/or international development is desirable.
- Strong computer literacy in recognised standard written reporting, presentation, and spreadsheet software is required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and attention to details.
- Must be tactful, discreet, diplomatic and possess the ability to communicate with individuals at all levels of an organization.
- Flexibility and adaptability to work under pressure and able to manage multiple priorities.
- Willingness to travel.
- Ability to work in an international/ multicultural environment.
- Ability to work independently and with a strong commitment to teamwork.
- Proactive mindset, creative thinking, and strong problem solving are important attributes.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with countries in the Asia and Pacific region is an asset.
- Fluency in both written and oral English is required.