Intern - Administration
United Nations, Nairobi, Kenya
Closing Date for Applications:
Org. Setting and Reporting
This internship is in the Human Resources Management Section (HRMS) of the United Nations Support Office in Somali (UNSOS). The intern will work with HR colleagues on various tasks and will be under overall supervision of the Human Resources Officer. The internship will be based in Nairobi for a maximum period of six months depending on the needs of the office. UNSOS accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness incurred during an internship. Therefore, upon awarding an internship, candidates will be required to sign a statement confirming their understanding and acceptance of the conditions of service. The internship is full time and there is no remuneration or stipend for this internship. Interns work five days per week under the supervisor of the Human Resources Officer.
- The intern will have an opportunity to shadow Human Resources Officers in the Office to learn more about UN human resources rules, regulations, procedures and practices and participate in a variety of projects. Duties may include, but not limited to:
Recruitment and selection:
- Receive and review recruitment requests from Hiring Offices, verify that supporting documentation to initiate recruitment process are in order, and draft Job Openings and issue them to the agreed channels maintaining accurate documentation.
- Assist to maintain Job Opening files and tracks status of job opening announcements.
- Assist to screen candidates' applications using set criteria, prepare long lists and submit them to the Hiring Offices. Proactively follow up on response from the hiring managers.
- Assist to prepare and maintain case files for candidates.
- Assist Prepare case files for the Mission Review Panel for review and enter data on candidates into the relevant roster tracking table.
- Assist in initiating and following-up on reference checks and academic verifications, ensuring the completion of the pre-recruitment formalities, calculating salaries and related benefits, and preparing and dispatching Offers of Appointment and Statement of Emoluments.
- Assist to coordinate with relevant Offices /units and selected candidates on travel arrangements, visa matters and shipment of personal effects.
- Ensure Recruitment case files are accurately stored and updated in compliance with the established standards including preparation and updating of standard operating procedures under area of responsibility.
- Provide assistance on Human Resources recruitment queries and follow up actions to ensure consistent and high-quality HR services are delivered to clients.
- Assists in reviewing and forwarding requests for classification to relevant cell/ unit.
- Assist in the job classification exercise e.g. follow-up on the job classifications forms issued to staff members, prepare physical file of the documents and electronic files.
- Provides advice and answers general queries on classification procedures and processes.
- Consistently applies appropriate policies, rules, guidelines, procedures and practices.
- Liaises and interacts effectively and in a timely manner with colleagues and concerned parties internally and externally.
- Assist the HR Officer update and track requests for recruitment forms and loan forms.
- Assist to monitor assigned staffing tables for a variety of human resource activities, e.g., appointments, retirement, expiration of appointments, reassignments, transfers and movement of staff.
- Assist the HR Officer monitor staffing tables to ensure that staff member data is up to date in UN Enterprise Resource Platform (ERP) e.g. duty station; post number; job grades etc.
- Prepare daily /weekly /monthly/ yearly reports and statistics as required.
- Establish excellent working relationships with Mission Support Components and Client units.
- Provide support to the implementation of Business Intelligence strategy and roadmap for implementing UNSOS analytics and business intelligence capability to include elements such as the delivery of standard and ad hoc reports, and trending based on an increased collection and cleansing method for mission support and mandate implementation data.
- Interact with, support, and consult with all UNSOS Pillars' Sections /Units to define key performance indicators, standard and ad-hoc reports that enable business decision.
- Enforce known policies, procedures, and compliance requirements that improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the Business Intelligence unit.
- Participate in the development and testing of reports and management dashboards as identified and prioritized in the requirements gathering process.
- To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
- Applicants must meet one of the following requirements: (a) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); (b) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); or (c) have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation. Be computer literate in standard software applications;
- Have an interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter;
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- No working experience is required to apply for the United Nations Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the United Nations during your internship.
- Are you a student in a Bachelor’s (final year), Master’s or Ph.D. Programme or equivalent, or have you completed a degree and are able to commence an internship within a year of graduation?
- For this internship, previous successful internship focused on human resources or recruitment, management, database management, report writing and statistics is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this advertised internship, fluency in English is required.