Intern - Communications and Outreach
United Nations Development Programme , Flexible/Remote work, Thailand
Closing Date for Applications:
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- UNDP works in about 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. We help countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities and build resilience in order to sustain development results.
- UNDP is working to strengthen new frameworks for development, disaster risk reduction and climate change. We support countries' efforts to achieve the new Sustainable Development Goals, which will guide global development priorities through 2030. The key 2030 Agenda principle of leaving no one behind and stamping out inequality is at the core of everything we do.
UNDP focuses on helping countries build and share solutions in three main areas:
- Sustainable development
- Democratic governance and peacebuilding
- Climate and disaster resilience
- In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights and the empowerment of women, minorities and the poorest and most vulnerable.
INTERNSHIP OFFICE BACKGROUND:
- Working in UNDP Country Office in Thailand and under the direct supervision of the UNDP Communications and Engagement Officer, the UNDP Communications Intern will work to raise the profile of UNDP Thailand in the media and among Government Agencies, (I)NGOs and other partners, manage the office’s website and general communications requirements, and provide Thai-language editing services to the office team.
- Support communications team on technical and administrative requirements as needed (e.g., planning meetings/workshops, procurement, media)
- Provide back-up translation services when required
- Maintain an up-to-date list of contact media addresses, publication distribution lists.
- Co-manage the UNDP Thailand website to increase digital presence
- Support drafting press releases, op-eds and other text-based outreach materials; copy-writing and proofread; Thai-English translation.
- Assist UNDP staff in media outreach and information dissemination-related activities.
- Interest and motivation in working in an international organization;
- Good analytical skills in gathering and consolidating data and research for practical implementation;
- Outgoing and initiative-taking person with a goal oriented mind-set;
- Communicates effectively when working in teams and independently;
- Good in organizing and structuring various tasks and responsibilities;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Strong communication and persuasion skills
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Results driven, able to meet targets/deadlines
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Candidates must meet one of the following educational requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree (newly graduated or in the final year of study) or pursuing a Master’s degree in related field in Communications, Journalism, Social Sciences or related field; or
- Currently in the final year of a Bachelor’s degree; or
- Currently enrolled in a Master’s degree; or
- Have graduated no longer than 1 year ago from a bachelor’s or master’s degree or equivalent studies.
- Field of study: communications, journalism, marketing, international relations, political science or equivalent. (preferred but not required)
- Knowledge and a proficient user of Microsoft Office productivity tools;
- Knowledge and experience using Microsoft Powerpoint, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator or any other data visualization tools.
- Basic knowledge of video and website editing preferred.
- Fluent in English- both written and spoken in addition to native proficiency in Thai required;