INTERN - Graphic Designer
United Nations Secretariat , Kuwait
Closing Date for Applications:
- The Resident Coordinator (RC) system encompasses all organizations of the United Nations system dealing with operational activities for development, regardless of their formal presence in the country. The RC system in Kuwait aims to bring together the different UN agencies to contribute to the realization of New Kuwait Vision 2035 by aligning results to Sustainable Development Goals and Agenda 2030 at the country level. The Resident Coordinator lead the UN country team and is the designated representatives of the Secretary-General for development operations. Working closely in partnership with Kuwait governments, the Resident Coordinator and country team advocate the interests and mandates of the UN drawing on the support and guidance of the entire UN family.
- The internship position is in the United Nations Resident Coordinator Office in the State of Kuwait. The Intern will work under the direct supervision of the communication Officer in the United Nations Resident Coordinator Office in the State of Kuwait. The integration of social media platforms, including social networking tools—such as Facebook, Twitter, Weibo and WeChat—forms a critical component of the UN RCO in Kuwait communications strategies.
- The UN offers an exciting diverse and inclusive workplace. This internship provides a unique opportunity to work with colleagues of diverse background to solve a variety of problems. We are seeking an energetic, responsible intern to join the Organization. If you are selected, you will join a global intern cohort and make a real impact by working on challenging and rewarding projects.
- The UNRCO Kuwait internship is for three months with an opportunity for extension to no longer than six months, depending on the needs of the RCO Kuwait.
- The internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office where they are assigned.
On completion of the internship, the successful candidate will have gained:
- An excellent understanding of the United Nations System, its structure and its ongoing efforts for Sustainable Development advancement in Kuwait and the Strategic partnership for Agenda 2030 and New Kuwait;
- Valuable experience in United Nations standards for visualisation, designs and promotion materials;
- Design and writing skills for public information and communications in an international context;
- Extensive exposure to managers and staff members of the UN Resident Coordinator Office and the UN System.
The UN Resident Coordinator Office in Kuwait is seeking a passionate young person who is an innovative doer and thinker and interested in making a difference for a better world.
Within delegated authority, the Graphic Design intern may be responsible for the following duties:
- Designs layout for the United Nations Country Team social media channels.
- Helps to develop creative strategy.
- Creates graphically engaging presentations and materials to promote awareness on Sustainable Development Goals and the Kuwait-United Nations Strategic Partnership Framework communication.
- Presents visual concepts and ideas in a compelling and attractive manner.
- Participates in organizing and setting up for special events organized by the communication group including the UN Talks as necessary.
- Assists with data visualization through graphs and maps for promoting the work of Strategic Partnership Outcome Result Groups.
- Designs posters for outreach activities.
- Edits images and videos for outreach activities.
- Takes on other special projects as assigned.
- Communication - Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;-listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork - Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Creativity - Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks "outside the box"; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- The education eligibility for the UN RC internship is as follows:
- Must be enrolled in, or have completed, a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher) in Graphic Design, Media, Visual Arts and other related fields; or
- Be enrolled in, or have completed, the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent) in Graphic Design, Media, Visual Arts and other related fields.
In addition, candidate must:
- Be computer literate in standard software applications;
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the UN Charter; and
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For this position fluency in English and Arabic is required.
- Note: “Fluency” equals a rating of ‘fluent’ in all four areas (speak, read, write, and understand) and “Knowledge of” equals a rating of ‘confident’ in two of the four areas.