Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the Secretary-General. We support programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the UN Human Settlements Programme (UNHABITAT) globally, and the Regional Co-odinator's Office (RCO) Offices in Kenya, by providing
Administrative, Conference, Security and Information Services
The internship will be located in the Resident Coordinator’s Office Kenya (RCO-K) under the supervision of the Peace and Development Advisor. The RCO coordinates activities of the UN Country Team and its engagement with the Government of Kenya.
The intern will provide data analytics and technical support to the establishment of a database in support of the RCO's conflict prevention & peacebuilding workstream. Related tasks will include the support of prevention and early warning mechanisms and reporting to inform the UN Senior Management decision-making cycle, providing data analytics inputs for integrated analysis outputs in collaboration with UN agencies in Kenya, and monitoring regional fragility, conflict and violence indicators in anticipation of the 2022 elections in Kenya for situational awareness. In this context, the intern will be directly involved in the implementation of the first-ever UN-wide Data Strategy, responding to one of the UN Secretary-General's key priorities.
The RCO Political Data Analytics/ Data Science/ Computer Science internship is for 3-6 months.
The Internship is UNPAID and full-time.
Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual's background; the intern's assigned office as well as the internship period.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Analyst, the incumbent will report directly to the Peace and Development Advisor and will:
- Play a technical role in developing infrastructures, tools and data visualizations for conflict prevention.
- Support the development of a common data infrastructure (incl. database design, set-up, management) for the RCO’s conflict prevention workstream;
- Develop corporate visualization solutions derived from multiple data sources using state-of the-art tools to enable insight and decision-making at various levels;
- Analyze client’s data analytics requirements;
- Design data flows, data-driven reports and visualizations aligned with client needs;
- Develop data models, including performance measures, to enable scorecard analysis;
- Build interactive dashboards and automated reports, using corporate analytics applications;
- Perform ad-hoc analysis and present results in a clear manner;
- Develop documentation and training materials;
- Assist with data and analytics related problems; and
- Perform other duties as required.
- Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with Bachelor's degree, Masters, PhD or equivalent
- Be computer literate in standard software applications.
- Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter;
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Preferred Area of Studies;
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in Applied Mathematics, Data Science, Computer Science, Data Engineering, Information Engineering, Information Systems /Technology, Statistics, Interactive design, Information Management, GIS, Human-computer Interaction, User interface design, Engineering or related field.
- A first-level university degree in similar fields in combination with one additional year of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Implementation and maintenance of business intelligence/analytics or related areas of data-driven interface design;
- Experience with MS PowerBI or any other similar self-service analytics toolsets;
- Experience with relational databases such as Microsoft SQL and other databases and database design;
- Experience with cloud services, e.g. MS Azure, Cloud SQL or other cloud computing service;
- A passion for empirical investigation and for answering hard questions with data;
- A passion to think outside the box and develop innovative approaches to solve the problem at hand;
- Familiarity with analytical techniques such as sentiment analysis, predictive analysis, social media monitoring, social network/actor analysis is a plus;
- Knowledge of map and geo-spatial analysis and familiarity with Geographic Information Systems such as ESRI ArcGIS, QGIS, Leaflet, Carto or Open Street Map desired;
- Experience working with clients using a user-centric design process
- Experience working with conflict and/or political data is desirable;
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this internship position, fluency in English is required.