Intern Programme Support
United Nations Development Programme , Ankara, Turkey
Closing Date for Applications:
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- UN Women (the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women), grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
- In Turkey, in line with its global Strategic Plan 2018-2021, UN Women works towards three overarching goals: 1) Women lead, participate in, and benefit equally from governance systems; 2) All women and girls live a life free from all forms of violence; 3) Women and girls contribute to and have greater influence in building sustainable peace and resilience and benefit equally from the prevention of natural disasters and conflicts and humanitarian action.
- Towards these goals, UN Women implements programmes and projects that aim to advance gender equality, improve women’s access to opportunities, rights and services in political, social and economic life and combat gender stereotypes, discrimination and violence, as required by international and national legal and policy commitments. UN Women collaborates with numerous partners – central and local level government authorities, civil society organizations, including women’s organizations and platforms, academia, private sector companies, other UN agencies. It commits itself to the Leaving No One Behind principle, by supporting targeted actions to remove the obstacles that marginalized and vulnerable groups of women face in accessing their rights and to promote them as agents of change.
- This internship opportunity is divided into two durations to give 2 interns opportunity at each duration.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Under the overall guidance of the Country Director and direct supervision of Head of Programmes or Programme Managers, the interns will work in close collaboration with the Programme and Operations Team in the CO, ensuring timely support in carrying out proper processes related to advancing the normative, programmatic and coordination work of the office as well as other cross-cutting areas of knowledge management, research, and analysis.
The interns are expected to undertake the following specific tasks:
- Support in the review of available documents and research to contribute to programme development and management, as requested, on topics related to the thematic areas of work of UN Women in Turkey (women’s leadership and political participation, ending violence against women, gender-responsive national planning and budgeting, women’s economic empowerment, gender-sensitive refugee response) as well as on its normative and UN Coordination work;
- Support the Operations Team in reviewing the related documents and contributing to regular reporting (financial, HR and administrative) responsibilities of the Operations team
- Support the Communications Team of the Country Office in day to day management of the social media accounts and compiling information required for content development and reporting.
- Compile information from different sources and produce analytical reviews and synopses;
- Collect information and data to be used for preparation of briefing notes, talking points, and reports as required;
- Contribute to data entry and database updating/revision programme related documents;
- Support preparations for CO activities and events;
- Support in editing and revision of reports, briefs, and other documents as needed;
- Support in additional tasks and projects of the CO Programme Unit, as required.
On completion of the internship, the intern will:
- Understand the mandate and working areas of UN Women and the UN system in Turkey.
- Acquire knowledge and practical experience about issues related to gender equality and the empowerment of women;
- Strengthen analytical research skills
- Exposure to the working environment of a UN Organization
- Acquire teamwork skills in a multicultural environment.
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies:
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing (in English), in a clear and concise manner.
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards other.
- Excellent research, writing, and organizational skills;
- Ability to work in diverse team settings;
- Ability to multi-task and address competing priorities;
- Ability to produce high-quality deliverables in a timely manner;
- Ability to work effectively in independent and collaborative settings;
- Ability to take initiatives, ask questions, and contribute substantively;
- Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- University studies in one of the following disciplines: gender studies, human rights, international relations, law or other relevant subjects is required.
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation, or Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program which is part of a degree programme and undertake the internship as part of the program requirements.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English are required;
- Working knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.