Intern - Public Information
United Nations Secretariat, Tehran, Iran
Closing Date for Applications:
- The United Nations Information Centers (UNICs) belong to the Information Centres Services (ICS), Strategic Communications Division (SCD) of the Department of Global Communication (DGC). The UNICs are the principal sources of information about the United Nations system in the countries where they are located. They are also responsible for promoting greater public understanding of, and supports the aims and activities of, the United Nations by disseminating information on the work of the Organization to people everywhere, especially in developing countries.
- This internship is located in the United Nations Information Centre in Teheran, Iran. The internship is for a period six months.
- The internship is UNPAID. UN interns work full-time, five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual's background; the intern's assigned office as well as the internship period. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Assist UNIC in researching, drafting and/or updating on-line content for the UN in Iran website and social media accounts under the guidance of UNIC Officer-in-Charge or relevant UNIC staff delegated by
- the OiC;
- Assist UNIC in designing/creating and publishing Multilingual Multimedia Information Materials (Short Videos, Social Media Cards, Flyers)- Knowledge of some open-source subtitling software;
- Assist UNIC with editing public information/advocacy materials – Knowledge of editing and design software (Photoshop, illustrator, in-design, etc);
- Assist UNIC with photo/video coverage of UNIC events;
- Perform other related duties, as required.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
Please note that to qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- be enrolled in, or have completed, a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or
- be enrolled in, or have completed, the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor's level or equivalent)
Applicants must also:
- Be computer literate in standard software applications
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the UN Charter
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- No working experience is required to apply for the United Nations Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the United Nations during your internship.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency in English and Persian is required for the internship.