Intern - Public Information
United Nations Secretariat, Baku, Azerbaijan
Closing Date for Applications:
- The United Nations Information Centers (UNICs) belong to the Information Centres Services (ICS), Strategic Communications Division (SCD) of the Department of Global Communication (DGC). The UNICs are the principal sources of information about the United Nations system in the countries where they are located. They are also responsible for promoting greater public understanding of, and supports the aims and activities of, the United Nations by disseminating information on the work of the Organization to people everywhere, especially in developing countries.
- This internship is located in the United Nations Office in Baku, Azerbaijan. The internship is initially for a period of two months with a possible extension up to six months.
- The internship is UNPAID. UN interns work full-time, five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual's background; the intern's assigned office as well as the internship period. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Monitor the media for news stories of interest to the UNO Baku;
- Research, draft and/or update on-line content for the UN website and social media accounts in Azerbaijan, with guidance from subject matter experts and relevant substantive focal points;
- Assist on media outreach, e.g. distribution of press releases and other information materials to mass media and civil society organisations;
- Assist the UNO Baku in maintaining its social media channels;
- Assist in organising activities for the UN Day and other Observances;
- Provide general office support (e.g. processing correspondence, maintaining files, records, and/or databases, organising meetings, taking meeting minutes, etc.);
- Perform other related duties, as required.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with Bachelor's degree, Masters, PhD or equivalent
Applicants must also:
- Be computer literate in standard software applications
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the UN Charter
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- No working experience is required to apply for the United Nations Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the United Nations during your internship.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency in English and Azerbaijani is required for the internship.