Intern- Public Information
United Nations Secretariat, Panama City, Panama
Closing Date for Applications:
The United Information Centre as part of the Department of Global Communication (DGC) in the Strategic Communications Division (SCD) invites you to be part of an internship programme during the first semester of 2020.
The internship position is located in the United Nations Information Centre (UNIC) in Panama City. The incumbent is under the direct supervision of UNIC's Director and/or the National Information Officer (NIO). He or she reports to the NIO of UNIC Panama. UNICs are the principal sources of information about the United Nations system in the countries where they are located, they are also responsible for promoting greater public understanding of and support for the aims and activities of the United Nations by disseminating information on the work of the Organization to people everywhere, especially in developing countries.
The internship is for an initial period of two months with an opportunity for extension depending on the needs of the Department and availability of the intern. The internship is UNPAID and full time. Interns work five days a week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the Department or office.
- Under the guidance of the Director and NIO of UNIC Panama, the daily responsibilities will depend on the individual's background. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Provide general office support; respond to complex information requests and inquiries of UNIC Panama; draft media and other communication documents. Assist UNIC Panama in the production and delivery of information communications products and services; Assist in the updates and further development of internal databases (including contact of Panama, Cuba and the Dominican Republic); update UNCT Panama 's web site and social media accounts to include drafting and editing content; Assist in the researching and compiling of basic information for use in the preparation and production of communications products/services about the UN. Assisting in the designing of materials and products to be use in social media, reports and other requested by UNIC and/or RC office to raise awareness of the UN work at global and local level. Assist in the production and editing of UNIC Panama video/film projects, radio program or website projects; produce scripts, quote cards, etc., select and catalogue sound and visual materials for inclusion in UN productions. Performs other duties as assigned.
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
- Applicants must meet one of the following requirements: be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme in graphic designing, journalism, communication, media studies, filmmaking, international relations or related field (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent); or have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation; Be computer literate in standard software applications; Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter. Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- No working experience is required to apply for the United Nations Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the United Nations during your internship.
- English and French are working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this position, fluency in Spanish and English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.