The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is the UN organization that contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. Volunteerism is a powerful means of engaging people in tackling development challenges, and it can transform the pace and nature of development. Volunteerism benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer by strengthening trust, solidarity and reciprocity among citizens, and by purposefully creating opportunities for participation. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for recognition of volunteers, working with partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing an increasing number and diversity of volunteers, including experienced UN volunteers, throughout the world. UNV embraces volunteerism as universal and inclusive, and recognizes volunteerism in its diversity as well as the values that sustain it: free will, commitment, engagement and solidarity.
UNV is headquartered in Bonn, Germany and has approximately 130 staff positions – with the majority in Bonn and some positions with different UN peacekeeping and political missions, and in other Headquarters locations (e.g. New York and Tokyo).
General Terms and Conditions
- The Internship Programme operates on a non-remunerative basis. Costs and arrangements for travel, visa, accommodation and living expenses are the responsibility of the intern;
- UNV accepts no responsibility for the intern's medical insurance or for costs arising from illness during the internship. Interns are required to provide proof of medical insurance coverage;
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance of the Section Chief of Executive Office (ExO) and the direct supervision of the RBM Specialist, the intern will support as follows:
- Provide advice and support the development of corporate monitoring guidelines and methodology for results measurement;
- Assist in designing knowledge products, infographics or snapshots to communicate results and facts;
- Facilitate knowledge exchange and peer learning among colleagues i.e. with regard to graphic design/ infographics, data visualization/ mapping, IT based tools and methods on business intelligence/ data processing and management;
- Support preparing training materials, webinar session facilitation and documentation i.e. on topics around results-based planning, monitoring and reporting;
- Consolidate data and support corporate monitoring and reporting of the strategic framework;
- Support any other related activities.
Learning opportunities for the intern
- General understanding of the work and mission of the UNV programme, and of volunteerism’s contribution to peace and development effectiveness;
- Insight and hands-on experience in UNV/ UNDP’s broad range of conceptual, strategic and programmatic issues on M&E and RBM and business intelligence;
- Insight and hands-on experience in corporate planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting tools; and
- Become more familiar with working in an International Organization and in a multicultural environment.
- Solid knowledge and first experience in a variety of data analysis, assessment, research and/ or social science methodologies;
- Strong computer skills and use of relevant software (e.g. word, excel and data processing, graphics/ visualization software, PowerPoint / Prezi) is required;
- Familiarity with training practices, tutorials and methodology is an asset;
- Ability to work independently is required;
- Solid analytical, verbal communication and report writing skills.
- Fluency in English (oral and written); French is an asset.
Required Skills and Experience
- Final Year Bachelor's Degree in higher in Social Sciences, Geography, Development Studies, Sustainability Science, Evaluation, Public Administration/Management Studies, International Relations/ Politics or a related field
- Enrolled in a Master's Degree in higher in Social Sciences, Geography, Development Studies, Sustainability Science, Evaluation, Public Administration/Management Studies, International Relations/ Politics or a related field;
- WIthin one year post graduation of either of the above.