Intern Standby Roster
Danish Refugee Council, Europe, Denmark
Closing Date for Applications:
The Stand-by Roster Team is seeking a new intern
Do you want to experience what it is like to work for Denmark’s largest humanitarian NGO? Then apply for the DRC Stand-by Roster’s intern position starting end-January 2020.
Who we are
- The DRC Stand-by Roster is a unit within the International Department of the Danish Refugee Council. For more than twenty five years the DRC Stand-by Roster has assisted UN agencies around the world with deployment of experts to fill capacity gaps in humanitarian emergencies. The DRC Stand-by Roster is considered a leading partner to several UN agencies including UNHCR, UNICEF and WFP. The unit is managing various rosters that enable the DRC Stand-by Roster to deploy expert staff at short notice to UN humanitarian operations globally. Our unit has recently also initiated a cooperation with the EU Aid Volunteer Programme and we are therefore deploying volunteers to work in different DRC or UNHCR field operations around the world.
About the internship
- The intern will become part of the Stand-by Roster team and will assist the colleagues with deployment of experts (roster members) and volunteers.
- As an intern your general tasks will be related to supporting the colleagues with deployments and mainly within administration but also training support, recruitment, communication and finance. The tasks will include, but not be limited to:
- Prior to deployment: Booking of flight tickets, assisting with visa applications, updating our database and participating in briefings.
- During deployment: General follow up, expense reports and support to the deployees.
- End of deployment: Flight tickets, financial issues and participating in debriefings.
As an intern you will also be working with specific tasks such as:
- Coordinating logistics for the roster members’ participation in UN trainings and support in the preparation of the DRC Stand-by Roster Induction trainings of new roster members and volunteers.
- Registration of UN requests for deployments and trainings in the tailor-made HERO database.
- Supporting the recruitment of new roster members and EU Aid Volunteers.
- Supporting in the preparation of EUAV workshops.
- General programme support to both the EU Aid Volunteers Programme and Stand-by Roster.
- Supporting in financial tasks using excel and our DRC-ERP platform ‘Dynamics’ to process deployee expenses, as well as checking original receipts and archiving.
- Different communication tasks, such as development and updating of our website and social media, writing and distributing our quarterly newsletter.
- Ad hoc administrative tasks.
- An additional development project defined according to the intern’s competencies and interest as well as the organizational development needs of the DRC Stand-by Roster.
As an intern in the DRC Stand-by Roster team, we offer you the opportunity to
- Gain experience from working in an internationally recognized humanitarian NGO.
- Work independently and with a lot of responsibility.
- Be part of an enthusiastic and dynamic team.
- Gain knowledge of the EU, UN and the humanitarian systems.
- Create and complete your own development project.
- Gain technical skills from ERP systems.
As an intern in the DRC Stand-by Roster team, we expect you to
- Commit to the values and Code of Conduct of the Danish Refugee Council.
- Be able to work independently and handle challenges in a constructive and positive way.
- Be able to work as part of a team.
- Have an interest in and flair for administrative tasks incl. financial management.
- Be proactive and ready to face new challenges.
- Be open-minded and flexible towards the different tasks assigned to you.
Your field of study is not paramount, but it will most likely be within the social sciences and/or international affairs. Experience and interest in the area of communication and website management will be considered an added value. This could either be from your field of study or other relevant experience. To apply for the internships you must meet the following requirements:
- Confirm that you have the required permits to work and live in Denmark.
- Have an interest in international affairs and humanitarian assistance.
- Be enrolled at a university during the period of the internship.
- Have completed a minimum of two years of higher education.
- Be fluent in spoken and written English.
- Have the ability to navigate in a challenging environment and handle a wide complexity of tasks.