Who are we and what can you gain?
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Office of Information Management and Technology (OIMT) in Copenhagen is responsible for supporting UNDP Country Offices around the world with ICT solutions. Our Unit offers a stimulating and versatile internship in an international environment with contact to various partners from some 166 countries with UNDP presence. We are a team who work in a dynamic and informal atmosphere, and we expect our interns to become vital members of the team.
As an intern, you will be given tasks and opportunities that have a direct global impact on the development efforts of the international community. The UNDP/OIMT internship programme enhances the academic life experience of passionate students as interns and empowers them to become socially responsible, innovative, and environmentally conscious leaders of tomorrow. We bridge the gap between textbook learning and real-life industry experience by taking interns behind the scenes of the world’s leading clean energy and sustainability initiatives, while learning to take into consideration the local context.
Being a part of our dynamic unit, you will also gain worldwide connections with other top-talented interns and UN staff from other agencies; our office is located at the UN City in Copenhagen, giving you the opportunity to interact with people outside the UNDP OIMT unit.
Duties and Responsibilities
Your Responsibilities and assignments
The two main activities of this internship involve the following:
- Assist in developing and refining the internal communications strategy and plan for the key services in the Operations Team of the Global Service Desk (GSD) unit: rollout and adoption of the eRegistry Application, SharePoint Online Migration services, Intranet HelpDesk Support, Office 365 and Digital Workspace Adoption. These services are designed and targeted to clients who are the UNDP Country Offices (UNDP COs) around the world.
- Drive and manage the rollout and adoption efforts of eRegistry Application and SharePoint Online Migration by coordinating the service deployment lifecycle with country office clients worldwide.
The assignments to achieve these activities include:
- Manage and maintain the communications channels for the services: disseminating announcements, engaging with the user communities; posting and updating documentation, user guides, image galleries; and using other channels of communication, as seen appropriate.
- Assist in developing written and audio-visual material for promotional and documentation activities – including storyboards, recordings, and editing of webinar videos.
- Support the gathering, consolidating, and analysing data for our tracking, analytics, and data visualization using Excel, Power BI, and other business intelligence tools. Also contribute innovative perspectives to improve our online reports and dashboards for internal management and customers.
- Refine and continuously innovate (kaizen) our operational procedures, instructions and templates, driving with knowledge from best practices and disseminating and engaging with our practice community;
- Organize and coordinate with colleagues and third-party stakeholders for arranging webinars, trainings, and inter-organisational meetings;
- Collaborate across the unit’s key service lines and projects, which range from delivering innovative IT business solutions, sustainable green energy services, and world-connecting ICT solutions, to offer communication support and promote the exchange of knowledge;
Competencies and Attributes of Best Candidate
- Has interest in developing sustainable ICT solutions for country offices, focusing on modern ICT innovations that enhances collaboration within UNDP and with our partners
- Has an understanding of end-user experience and client-oriented services
- Is an effective communicator with an interest in internal communications
- Has interest and understanding of customer-oriented service delivery, with focus on innovative enterprise ICT solutions, collaboration, customer experience
- Has good analytical skills in gathering and consolidating data for practical implementation
- Is a self-starter and initiative-taking person with a goal-oriented mind-set; good in organizing and structuring various tasks and responsibilities, effective when working in teams and independently
- Has interest and motivation in working in an international organization
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
Technical skills of best Candidate
- Knowledgeable user with proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Fluency and experience with social media tools for marketing and promotions
- Knowledge of web-design best practices
- Knowledge and experience with SharePoint 2013 or SharePoint Online is an advantage
- Knowledge or experience with specific Office 365 tools (or their consumer equivalents) such as Planner (Trello), Teams (Slack), Yammer (Workplace by Facebook), OneDrive (DropBox, Google Drive), Power BI (Tableau), etc. is a distinct advantage
- Experience with Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. for developing communication and promotional strategies is an advantage
Applying your Skills Beyond Internal Communications and Services Manager
- Promote a client service-oriented culture within the unit, connecting the new UNDP Digital Workspace strategy with current theories and practices in Design Thinking, Service Design, and Customer Experience.
- Explore and pilot alternative tools for enriching internal communications activities and tracking, such as chatbots in MS Teams, decision-making assistance tools through various Office 365 tools (Flow, Forms, PowerApps, etc.), and information design (data visualization).
- Creatively develop and drive new projects for innovative collaboration and business process automation systems and tools, to be disseminated to UNDP offices as best practice for improvement of operations and business efforts;
- Promote the OIMT’s overall strategic framework in and work plan pertaining to the minimum ICT standards, infrastructure, and connectivity dimensions. The OIMT Copenhagen unit is ISO 9001:2015 certified, our work is focused on high quality, continuous improvements, and customer satisfaction.
Required Skills and Experience:
You must meet one of the following requirements:
- You are currently in the final year of your Bachelor’s degree; or
- You are currently enrolled in a Master’s degree; or
- You have graduated no longer than 1 year ago from a master’s degree or equivalent studies in the field of international business, finance, management, administration, development or equivalent;
- Fluent in written and spoken English. Knowledge of other UN languages is an advantage;
- Knowledge and a proficient user of Microsoft Office applications;