PURPOSE OF THE CONSULTANCY
As a form of continuation and sustainability, an online platform will be developed to help the participating national coding participants girls from Ethiopia to develop their ideas and projects further, support their confidence and leadership and strengthen their positive perception on girls’ roles and opportunities in innovation and ICT.
The online platform will include learning materials/short courses (divided into beginner, intermediate and advanced), innovation competition, linking opportunities (scholarships, conferences), research publication, open platform for innovative and policy discussion.
The platform will be continuously updated with up-to-date information in ICT and provide space for tech companies in Ethiopia to advertise job opportunities. Moreover, the platform will have links to training sites, Institutions of higher learning and serve as a gateway to all things ICT. Overall, the platform will support participating girls from Ethiopia to tech clubs, tech companies and tech CSOs to promote to use the skills acquired from the camp.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of the consultant will be to provide scholarly and technical related services, including:
- Design an interactive and user-friendly website with secured and authenticated access to the platform.
- Register Ethiopia National coding camp participants as members of the platform and have access to materials to further develop their projects, to connect with their team members, and to get support from trainers from the camp (mentorship).
- Register Ethiopia National Coding Camp trainers who participated in the TOT as members of the platform to create mentee and mentorship relationship with the coding camp participants.
- Register Local experts in Ethiopia from the ICT sector (companies, start-ups, clubs, CSOs) to create connections between the participating girls and the local ICT environment.
- Upload learning materials available that will be interactive learning experience, and space to share ideas, opportunities with likeminded individuals.
- Develop a website that is simple, stable, and accessible to ensure its operability in a limited bandwidth environment / Response time and usability.
- Ensure compliance of website across various platforms and browsers on Mac, PC and phones.
- Create a link to UN Women hosted training materials, including Scratch and Gender
- Empowerment, provided by the trainers.
- Create a page dedicated to a list of IT universities and PC clubs in Ethiopia; maintained by AGCCI team to support their entry to IT related education and careers.
- Ensure the maintenance of the platform for one year starting from the date of its launch.
- Develop user and administration manual for easy use and management of the platform.
- Develop a protocol for troubleshooting, maintenance, updates, and backup of the platform.
- Provide training to technical team.
EXPECTED OUTPUTS AND DELIVERABLES
- Create a database that will provide practical information about IT Clubs, Universities, IT Companies and Women’s Empowerment for young women and girls seeking to enter ICT careers and studies in line with this Job Description.
- Create a database that is accessible to all National Coding camp participants
- Upload learning materials from the coding camps divided into (beginner, intermediate and advanced),
- Upload different manuals on the gender sensitive education in ICT developed by UNWomen Ethiopia country office.
- Search functionality – which would do basic and advanced searches.
- SOP – which clearly states how the firm/individual consultant will manage the website for the one-year period.
- Manage User /Access Rights – different level of access rights, such as, Read, Write and Admin permissions will be setup to limit/block unauthorized access. Administrator can add new user, give permission, or access level which should be role-based access.
- The performance of the website is ensured in all connection speeds, accessing all pages of the website, downloading data and functionality to populate new, updated data and content including video and audio.
Required Skills and Experience
- MSc Information communication and Technology, Software Engineering and Computer Science or relevant field.
- At least 7 years relevant experience in Experience in SharePoint, maintaining an active group and in image editing.
- Relevant practical experience in the field of innovation, ICT and issues/programs directly related to gender and inclusion.
- Experience working with government institutions, policymakers, non-governmental organizations, and other stakeholders supporting ICT, innovation, Technology and development work in the region.
Language and other skills:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Computer skills: different programming language.