UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
Purpose of Activity/Assignment:
The SPEAR section of UNICEF Bangladesh is looking for a consultant Research Associate to support evidence generation activities with special focus on Child Labour and Public Finance at P1 level for a period of 11 months. For child labour, the consultant is expected to support the development of proof of concept for child labour. For social protection, the consultant is expected to support the evidence generation, public finance management, and for integration of child poverty measurement into the national and sectoral polices, advocacy efforts and capacity building of key stakeholders.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
Support the development of proof of concept and evidence generation for key child labour interventions.
- Carry out a desk review and mapping of the existing programme and policies on the topic as outlined by the National Action Plan of the Ministries/Divisions by target for the implementation of SDGs and national Plan of Actions for implementing the National Child Labour Elimination Policy. Once mapping is done, relate these plan and activities with the Child Labour framework ha is the guiding proof of concept.
- Support the development of Theory of Change for the proof of concept
- Support the development if the quantitative and qualitative data collection tools that will be used to assess the drivers of child labour
Support the development of multi-dimensional intervention package to be proposed. Support the evidence generation on social protection, public finance management, and integration of a child poverty measurement framework.
- Assist to integrate he child focused multidimensional poverty index into the national 8th Five Year Plan (2020-2025)
- Support the analyses of the government’s budget for social sectors, looking at allocation and expenditure trends, size, composition, efficiency and equity of expenditure on services for children, notably in the social protection, with a life cycle approach.
- Assist in Public Expenditure Review on social protection.
- Support trainings on advocacy initiatives.
Support evidence generation activities in the office
- Provide proof-reading and language revision support to key documents before they are published.
- Generate concept notes and policy briefs based in final reports for dissemination.
- Support preparation of internal knowledge sharing sessions of the completed reports to enhance knowledge management and sharing agenda in the office.
- Report from Desk Review to develop the Proof of concept on Child Labour including ToC, data collection tools and multi-dimensional recommended intervention package for child labour
- Budget Analysis report on allocation and expenditure on social sectors
- Proof of concept, policy briefs including training materials for advocacy to address child labor in Bangladesh
- Knowledge Management Plan – both for UNICEF and partners
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in economics, public policy, public administration, social science, statistics or other relevant areas.
- A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant professional experience in relevant area of work;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skill in a multi-cultural environment, be able to work as a team;
- Ability to multi-task and work independently, with multiple partners especially government and research sectors;
- Excellent knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methods, evaluation skills and data analysis;
- Experience in planning and managing programme is desired;
- Fluency in English with excellent report writing skills.