International Consultant on Women’s Access to Justice
UN Women, Cairo, Egypt
Closing Date for Applications:
Scope of assignment
- UNWomen is recruiting an international consultant to lead and develop the design, implementation, analysis and validation of a multi-phase research study in accordance with requirements set forth in this Terms of Reference (TOR).
- The consultant will be contracted as a member of a team comprised of national research experts and will report directly to UN Women CO.
- S/he will support and lead a research team in all aspects of the project (including field research, data analysis, report writing, and validation meetings).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct secondary data analysis including literature and critical desktop review of available and relevant reports and information on gender justice and land, property and inheritance rights for the past 10 years;
- Identify and adapt research tools and methods (finalized by UN Women and the consultant) to each target area;
- Lead the team to carry out the agreed research plan in all selected governorates, including overseeing field research and conducting in-depth interviews and undertake field visits;
- Organize debriefing sessions carried out with the research teams in order to identify gaps and weaknesses in the research strategy and respond appropriately;
- Analyze data and participate in preliminary discussions of findings with experts and stakeholders;
- Produce a 40-50 page report that includes analysis of primary and secondary data that meets the objectives of this TOR.
- Serve as the focal point for liaising with state authorities and civil society directly engaged with the research;
- Facilitate logistical support for the research team, including travel authorizations;
- Work with UN Women’s media communications team on potential opportunities for photo, video stories and drafting of other communication products as needed;
- Organize and lead in validation meetings after the completion of the research in accordance to a timetable agreed upon with UN Women.
- Completion of recruitment of field researchers;
- Research plan and methodology completed;
- Field research completed and data collected, summarized and finalized;
- Report completed; validation of findings and additional write-ups, as necessary;
- Consultations organized and Action Plan developed for state authorities to implement recommendations from the Report
- Minimum of Master’s degree in governance related field, including: Law, Gender Studies, Economics, Development, Public administration, Business Administration, Public Policy, Social Science, Political Science.
- Minimum 10 years’ of experience in rule of law, justice, security/policing, governance, development or closely related field;
- Proven experience on gender mainstreaming, gender justice, women’s access to justice, women’s rights, informal justice systems;
- Experience in qualitative and quantitative research methods is required;
- A strong background in gender programming is an advantage;
- Experience working in the MENA region an advantage;
- Knowledge of UN Women processes and programming is an asset.
- Experience of drafting user-friendly knowledge products such as books, articles, research papers, toolkits, guides, methodologies, analytical documents, policy papers and notes, project and program documents, baseline studies, desk reviews, comparative studies is an advantage.
- Fluency in English, including excellent writing and communication skills;
- Arabic is an asset.