Project: STRENGTHENING BORDER MANAGEMENT CAPACITIES IN ARMENIA
The project aims to strengthen border management capacities of the Government of the Republic of Armenia (henceforth: Armenia) to ensure alignment with international best practices, training and educational standards. The project will mainly consist of a capacity-building initiative in two key areas: i) support development of a national analytical unit, including the elaboration of training curricula and organization of Training of Trainers (ToT) for the Border Guard Troops (BGT) personnel, in line with the international standards and the European Union (EU) Sectoral Qualifications Framework for Border Guarding and taking into consideration related human rights and gender considerations; and ii) support the development of BGT analytical capacities, to collect, process, analyze and share relevant data within BGT, but also with relevant government institutions and international partners. The analytical capacity enhancement within BGT will create solid grounds for the development of national comprehensive Advance Passenger Information (API) and Passenger Name Records (PNR) systems.
Expected Duration of the Consultancy:
12 working days during August 2020 – September 2020 (home-based with 1 travel to Armenia)
Objective of the consultancy: In coordination with relevant stakeholders in Armenia, identify understanding, vision, main steps, and the main challenges regarding the introduction of the API/ PNR in Armenia.
Specific Objectives: The international consultants will:**
- Conduct an assessment of the existing legal and institutional framework and identify the main steps, and the main challenges regarding the introduction of API/PNR in Armenia;
- Conduct an awareness-raising workshop on API/PNR for officials from National Security Service, BGT, Civil Aviation Committee, Police and other relevant agencies in Armenia;
- Develop a report highlighting the main gaps and challenges, costs and benefits, and providing recommendations for API/PNR introduction in Armenia.
Target group: Armenian BGT of the National Security Service and other relevant agencies.
Reports to: Head of Office, IOM Mission in Armenia
Tasks to be performed under this contract:
- Desk review of the legal and institutional framework of Armenia concerning the API/PNR introduction;
- Conduct interviews/consultations with relevant stakeholders to identify vision, main steps, and the main challenges regarding the introduction of the API/ PNR in Armenia;
- Conduct an awareness-raising workshop on API/PNR for stakeholders;
- Provide recommendations for API/PNR introduction in Armenia.
Tangible and measurable output of the work assignment:
The consultants shall submit a final report in English language presenting assessment, key findings and recommendations for introduction of the API/ PNR in Armenia.
Indicative deadlines for the consultancy activities and outputs:
- Desk research and online consultations with relevant stakeholders – August 2020
- Workshop with relevant stakeholders – August 2020
- Submission of recommendations – September 2020
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Completed advanced university degree in a relevant field;
- Specialization in migration management or equivalent training will be considered as an asset.
- At least five years of professional experience in API and PNR;
- Proven experience in similar tasks as the ones outlined in these ToR;
- Proven experience with international organizations and/or government structures;•
- Experience in preparing clear and concise assessment reports.
Competencies and Skills:
- Excellent up-to-date knowledge of the international regulatory framework on API and PNR, such as relevant ICAO Standards and Recommended Practices, technical specifications and related ICAO/IATA/WCO Guidance Material and EU legal framework related to API and PNR
- Detailed knowledge of API/PNR implementation steps, international standards and best practices;
- Good knowledge of border management and related issues;
- Familiarity with IOM’s mandate;
- Analytical, research, reporting, communication, documentation and presentation skills;
- Very good command of oral and written English; knowledge of Russian or Armenian local is an asset.
- Personal Qualities and other requirements:
- Good interpersonal skills, solid judgment and decision making, initiative and creativity;
- Cultural and gender sensitivity.