International Operations Manager, P-4
United nations population fund(UNFPA), Kinshasa, Congo
Closing Date for Applications:
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
A. Under delegated authority from the Representative, the Operations Manager provides strategic direction of the UNFPA operations with the following expected results:
- Contribute to the delivery of the country programme, and overall operations are carried out, effectively, efficiently, on time and in a transparent manner;
- Annual and longer-term management targets, at the UNFPA corporate and Country Office level are met;
- Determine optimal techniques/processes for improving effectiveness and efficiency of business operations;
- Knowledge is shared and applied within the Country Office, and the CO participates actively in the management practice;
- Build capacity of operation staff through coaching and mentoring on staff on all aspects of operations management;
- Create a learning environment; establish and institutionalize learning opportunities within the Country Office.
B. Under delegated authority, the Operations Manager is responsible for the day-to-day management of UNFPA’s operations:
- Financial Management: has senior manager rights in Atlas and ensures the integrity of financial systems, review of budget requirements and the consistent application or rules and regulations;
- Human Resources Management: in consultation with the Representative, the Operations Manager is responsible for the overall recruitment, performance and career management in the office. Supervises operations staff and aims to motivate and promote organizational excellence. Ensures that the goals of gender equality and overall diversity are met while simultaneously ensuring regulations and procedures are applied consistently;
- General Administration: manages CO travel, logistics and premises; establishment of work plans, and monitors the achievement of results;
- Service Provision: is responsible for high quality provision of procurement and other project support services. Monitors quality and timeliness of services provided by Service Providers;
- Teamwork: promotes cross-unit team work;
- Routinely monitors financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions, and alert HQ to any unusual or suspicious transactions.
C. The Operation Manager is UNFPA’s support to, and coordination of, common services:
- Provides policy support, guidance and advocacy on development, establishment and management of common services with other participating UN organizations/agencies at the country level;
- Ensures that common services and joint arrangements benefit UNFPA in its objective to provide efficient and economical support services to the implementation of the country programme.
D. The Operations Manager ensures the safety and security of UNFPA staff and premises, in particular:
- Supports the implementation of UN/UNDP MOSS compliance;
- Together with the Deputy Representative, represents UNFPA in the Security Management Team and is responsible for efficient implementation in UNFPA of security measures agreed in the SMT and for compliance with security policy.
E. Under the overall guidance and leadership of the Representative, the Operations Manager supports partnership building on operational issues:
- Represents UNFPA in inter-agency administrative meetings, and ensures smooth cooperation between agencies on joint undertakings like hardship questionnaires and salary surveys;
- Identifies new approaches and measures to further enhance UNFPA delivery capacities, professional management and cost effectiveness;
- Promotes a client-oriented approach among all operations staff.
- The Operations Manager performs any other duties as may be directed by the Representative or by the management of the Regional Office or Headquarters
- Advanced university degree in degree in finance and public /business administration, public policy or other relevant social sciences
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least 7 years of relevant experience in development in a governmental, multilateral or civil society organization in a multi-cultural setting, including 3 or more years of senior-level management responsibilities in a challenging and complex organizational setting;
- Excellent management and leadership skills with the ability to build strong relationships with clients, focus on impact and result, and responds positively to feedback;
- Solid knowledge in financial and human resources management, contract, asset and procurement, information and communication technology, and general administration;
- Ability to lead business processes re-engineering, to implement new systems, and to positively affect staff behavioural/ attitudinal changes;
- Demonstrates knowledge sharing orientation, and ability to mentor and coach staff;
- Demonstrates effective team building and leadership, and conflict resolution skills;
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting, formulation and monitoring of projects/programmes;
- Initiative; strong conceptual abilities; sound judgment; strong interest in development work, especially the mission of UNFPA; and dedication to the principles of the United Nations.
- Fluency in English and French is required