The position is located at the Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia (REU). The main aim of FAO is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
The International Project Coordinator/Chief of Party shall operate under the overall guidance and responsibility of the Regional Programme Leader direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator, and in close collaboration with the other international and national consultants giving full or part time support to the project.
The international Project Coordinator/Chief of Party will be responsible for the day to day management of the USAID GCP/GEO/015/USA project “Implementation of Integrated Pest Management in Abkhazia “. The objective of this project is to promote Integrated Pest Management as a more effective means to combat Plant Protection and Forest Health issues, as well as to increase the capacities of farmers in IPM and crop diversification through the implementation of Farmer Field Schools.
Duties and responsibilities
- Overall responsibility in the day to day management of the USAID project in Integrated Pest Management for Abkhazia, including the implementation of Farmer Field Schools (FFS)
- Overall day to day guidance of the technical advice provided by the project to the de facto Ministry of Agriculture of Abkhazia;
- Maintain close liaison and communication with the de facto Ministry of Agriculture of Abkhazia in relation to the program implementation and development;
- Be responsible of the implementation of project activities and actions by FAO and AAH staff in the frame of the USAID FAO project for Abkhazia
- Support in the creation of the Commission for Plant Protection and Forest Health in Abkhazia
- Preparation terms of references for short- and medium-term consultants, both national and international, find adequate candidate, initiate recruitment, and be direct supervisor of all the staff in Sukhumi, including their day to day activities and evaluation of performance;
- Promote the coordination of different stakeholders in Abkhazia active in agriculture and rural development, including other UN agencies (UNHCR, UNDP, UNWOMEN) and local or international NGOs.
- General promotion and representation of the USAID Project, objectives, outputs and results throughout Abkhazia, as well as at regional and international forums;
- Responsibility for overall preparation, quality and timeliness of inception, progress and final reports;
- Facilitate that the Project objectives and outputs are satisfactorily achieved;
- Ensure the implementation of a grievance mechanism for external stakeholders or individuals to be allowed to raise concerns or complaints regarding the environmental impact of the project.
- Other duties as required.
- Advanced University degree in agriculture and/or economy or related field;
- At least 7 years of relevant practical experience in project management,
- Working knowledge of English, limited knowledge of another FAO language (French, Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, Russian). Knowledge of Russian would be a strong asset
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Demonstrated experience in project management working for international organisations or NGOs.
- Extent and relevance of experience in working in complex conditions and deliver results
- Demonstrated ability to work with different public and private stakeholders and coordinate the work of different partners
- Demonstrated ability to draft complex documents in English is considered a strong asset
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- Relevant experience in managing and leading teams
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written;
- Demonstrated ability to work as a manager