Internship – Projects and Programmes Section
International Computing Centre , Valencia, Spain
Closing Date for Applications:
- Applications from women are particularly encouraged for this internship
About the UNICC:
- The United Nations International Computing Centre (UNICC) is the leading provider of Information Technology and Communications (ICT) services within the United Nations System. Over the last four decades, UNICC has been continually expanding the services it is providing to its Partners in various parts of the world, and in various areas of ICT.
- As a part of the UN family, UNICC espouses the same values that the UN embraces. As a service provider, its core values are unmatched and underlie its continued growth: trust, customer-focus, accountability, understanding cross-cultural differences, excellence, innovation and teamwork. This combination has made UNICC the preferred provider of shared ICT services within the United Nations System.
- UNICC is committed to delivering reliable ICT services driven by best practices. With its world-class technology and state-of-the-art infrastructure, together with the vast cross-domain experience of its very knowledgeable staff, UNICC is always ready to offer UN-friendly shared solutions to the United Nations System of Organizations.
Purpose of the position:
- UNICC is offering opportunities for students to acquire practical and direct exposure to a whole range of project management activities. The selected intern will provide support with office administrative tasks under the direct supervision and guidance of the Head, Projects & Programme Section (CPP).
Organizational setting and reporting:
- Interns work 5 days per week (37.5 hours) under the supervision of the Head, Projects & Programme Section (CPP), and will be provided guidance and support to perform the responsibilities mentioned below.
Responsabilities could include:
Within the scope of UNICC’s Project Management Framework (Agile and PRINCE2), the responsibilities include the following:
- Governance of Project/Program status reporting for data completeness and data quality
- Supporting Project Managers with project-related documentation (e.g. meeting minutes, PIDs, and so forth) in project management tools (e.g. Confluence, JIRA, Project Server) as applicable
- Standardization of templates for project documentation
- Assist with audit-related controls (ensuring all projects adhere to PM-controls in place)
- Monitoring/reporting of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and governance related to UNICC’s portfolio
- Assist with coordination of RFP responses
- Participate in projects with limited responsibilities (shadowing what a senior does)
- Oversee the efficiency of the process and data quality control
- Assist with the analysis of data (e.g., Burn rate review periodically, Proactive review of Lessons Learned log)
- Contribute to the continuous development of PMO process and tools
- Assist with any other administrative tasks as specified by the Project Management Team
UNICC Global Competencies:
Overall attitude at work:
- Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behaviour; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective relationships with colleagues and team members. Deals constructively with conflicts.
- Communication: Expresses oneself clearly in conversations and interactions with others; listens actively. Produces effective written communications. Ensures that information is shared.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: Demonstrates the ability to work constructively with people of all backgrounds and orientations. Respects differences and ensures that all can contribute.
- Knowing and managing yourself: Manages ambiguity and pressure in a self-reflective way. Uses criticism as a development opportunity. Seeks opportunities for continuous learning and professional growth.
- To qualify for this internship, applicants must be currently enrolled in a University programme (final year of a Master’s degree or equivalent) specializing in areas that are relevant to UNICC’s line of business such as Computer Science or other related fields or must have graduated in the last 6 months
- Knowledge of Prince2 or other Project Management methodology and/or best practices is desirable
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience to participate in the UNICC’s internship program, but applicants should have the following functional and technical skills:
- Ability to use Microsoft office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Highly motivated
- Process-improvement focused
- Strong interest and/or aspirational goals in IT delivery within PMO, Managed Services, IT outsourcing industry, Consultancy Experience
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks and comfortable with short deadlines
- Timely delivery of assigned deliverables with qualitative results
- Sound knowledge of project management, flowcharts, technical documentation, etc.
- Experience with Jira or some other Agile development tools
- Customer-centric approach to delivery
- Excellent analytical skills with a good problem-solving attitude, with an ability to find innovative solutions
- Fluency in English is required (verbal and written)
- Knowledge of Spanish is desirable.