The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Representation Office in Djibouti has a position for a qualified intern for a period of 6 months, starting 1st December 2020.
UNDP partners with national governments and people at all levels of society to help build nations that can withstand crises, and drive and sustain the kind of growth that improves the quality of life for everyone. Active in more than 170 countries and territories, UNDP offers a global perspective and local insight to help empower lives and build resilient nations. UNDP helps countries to build and share development solutions in the following four main areas:
- Inclusive Livelihood and Resilience;
- Democratic Governance;
- Crisis Prevention and Recovery;
- Environment and Energy for Sustainable Development.
- In all its work, UNDP works to ensure the protection of human rights and the empowerment of women, youth, minorities and the poorest and most vulnerable.
- The objectives of the UNDP in Djibouti derive mainly from the Country Program Action Plan (PAPP), and contributions to the strategic results of the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF).
- The main objective of the country program is to accelerate the achievement of the sustainable development goals. It tackles the interrelated challenges of development, humanitarian assistance and resilience and seeks to reduce poverty, gender inequalities, geographic inequalities and exclusion.
- It promotes environmental sustainability and resilience through integrated strategies. It supports the most vulnerable and strengthens national institutional capacities for inclusive growth, poverty reduction, prevention of violent extremism and strengthening social cohesion.
- The 2018-2019 country program is built around three interrelated program pillars that together can drive more catalytic, transformative and systemic changes and help Djibouti achieve its sustainable development goals.
- Strengthening livelihoods and access to basic health services
- Environmental sustainability and resilience to climate change
- Enabling and inclusive governance framework for sustainable development
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Objective of the internship
- Enhance the educational experience of graduate students through practical and guided hands-on exposure and involvement in UNDP’s development projects in Djibouti;
- Provide graduate students with an exposure to the working environment of a multilateral organization and a better understanding of UNDP Djibouti’s goals and activities.
Functions/Duties and Output Expectations
Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Resident Representative (Programme), the intern is expected to perform the following tasks:
- Conduct research in the thematic priority areas that is determined jointly by the supervisor and the intern (e.g. inclusive livelihood, socio economic recovery, environment, health, governance, climate change among others);
- Compiling best practices, lessons learnt, experiences and stories on key thematic development areas (e.g. inclusive livelihood, governance, climate and environment);
- Conducting the research on the best practices in the priority thematic areas determined by the supervisor
- Support the UNDP team in developing infographics related to the various data analysis results
- Support the UNDP team in developing knowledge products
- Provide support to the UNDP Programme cluster’s seminars, workshops, conferences, where applicable.
At the end of the internship, the following outputs will be expected: -
- A research report in the thematic priority areas that is determined jointly by the supervisor and the intern.
- Inputs for the knowledge product
- Excellent organizational, time management and strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to multi-task, to work flexibly and meet tight deadlines;
- Attention to details and proven ability to work independently and effectively with minimum supervision;
- Networking skills to engage with key internal and external partners;
Eligibility and skills
- Applicants to the UNDP internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a postgraduate degree programme (such as a master’s programme, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (such as bachelor’s degree or equivalent);
- Have recently graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation;
- Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program and undertake the internship as part of this program.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Fluency in French desirable.