Internship: Education Section
UN Children's Fund, Kenya
Closing Date for Applications:
UNICEF Eastern and Southern African Regional Office’s (ESARO) Education Section is guided by the Strategic Plan Goal Area 2: “Every child learns”. The Education Section supports Country Offices to promote early childhood education (ECE), education quality, adolescent girls’ education and education in emergencies, as well as the inclusion of children with disabilities in education. The Regional Office supports country offices through direct technical support, quality assurance and oversight, data management and analysis, generation and dissemination of research and tools, as well as partnership building.
The Education Team in the Regional Office is seeking an intern for six months to support its work. The specifics of the work are given below.
Scope of work
- Provide overall support to the Section and Regional Education Advisor as necessary in the management of the section.
- Support the annual country report review process and the planning for the 2020 annual work plans for the education programme in the Eastern and Southern Regional Office.
- Support the Knowledge Management function of the office in close consultation with the lead on Data and RBM in the office.
- Support the dissemination of the “Time to Teach” research that is being run in eight ESAR countries and prepare for the regional dissemination event for the research and any other dissemination in collaboration with the Education Specialist, Quality.
- Support the development and roll-out of a communication strategy around the ten ESARO Education Think Pieces in collaboration with the Education Specialist, Quality.
- Support the section as necessary as the need arises.
- Training components and learning elements
The intern would through practical application and coaching, develop skills in:
- Knowledge management and use to impact practice
- Networking and building partnerships
- Research, data and analysis
- Education technical areas
- Communications and advocacy.
- Furthermore, specific online courses would be completed.
Desired competencies, technical background and experience
- Completed or enrolled in an advanced university degree in social science, education, economics, philosophy or another related field.
- Excellent written and oral English is required, and French of Portuguese is an added bonus for our region.
- Excellent day-to-day computer literacy, with knowledge of data analysis IT tools.
- Experience of working in complex bureaucracies and multicultural environments would be an advantage.
- Excellent organization skills, attention to detail, and ability to contribute to a team
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills.
- Orientation to innovate and see impact in innovations.
- Ability to work independently and respond to feedback in a timely and professional manner.