The World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. We are currently seeking to fill a Graphics Design and Communication intern position in our of the Human Resources Division, based in Rome, Italy.
Brief description of Capability Development Unit (HRMTC), Human Resources Division:
Our team is part of the Capability Development & Performance Strengthening Branch within the Human Resources Division, and its main activity is focused on providing professional learning services to WFP’s core business Functions and Country Offices. These include support on capability assessments, consulting on learning strategy; development and delivery of learning and development; equipping the internal learning community with tools and guidance resources; managing WFP’s global learning platform, as well as the management of external vendors for provision of learning services. The team has recently launched an enhanced global learning platform with extensive functionality including social learning, blended learning, facilitator dashboard, mobile app, gamification, and dedicated thematic learning “channels”. HRMTC actively promotes learning best practices through creating and disseminating guidance materials to the internal partners, as well as via maintaining a community of practice among the global learning focal points.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Learning and Development Specialist, the candidate will perform the following duties:
- In line with WFP’s corporate branding standards, produce visually-appealing print and online design products for HRMTC’s learning and communication initiatives, including but not limited to: presentations, infographics, brochures, flyers, newsletters, data visualization products, visual information assets, charts, graphs, posters
- Support the learning team with graphic design by creating a strong visual identity for HRMTC’s offer of learning products and services
- Help the unit’s efforts to promote learning initiatives through contributing with creative ideas on how to effectively deliver messages, market offerings, reach out to a global group of business partners and staff with diverse learning needs and communication styles
- Develop and update the design for a set of learning and communication templates such as: PowerPoint presentations, banners for online use, guidelines and job aid documents, reports, checklists, webpages (learning channels, blended learning paths assets)
- Applying principles of design thinking, support from a look and feel point of view of the learning solutions offered by HRMTC for a diverse audience of internal business functions
- Assist in the creation of visual assets for online communication and interactive media such as animation videos, short e-Learning courses or kinetic typography
- Research and implement interactive design solutions for online communication
Qualifications and experience
- Currently enrolled with at least two years undergraduate studies completed, or recently graduated (within the past six months) with a degree in Graphic Design, Communications or related studies;
- University course attendance in the past 12 months;
- Excellent command of English; Working knowledge of a second UN language would be an asset;
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook);
- Proficiency in creating MS PowerPoint and MS Word templates;
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud (particularly Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign);
- Proficiency in Adobe Acrobat Pro;
- Familiarity with designing creative communication materials and providing support on technology related projects (e.g.: interactive media, e-Learning template graphics);
- Accuracy and attention to detail, customer / service-oriented attitude, ability to take constructive feedback;
- Familiarity with latest design trends;
- Familiarity with Tableau is a plus;
- Knowledge of HTML5 and CSS preferred;
- Experience working with animation programmes (part of the Adobe Creative Cloud or other) is an advantage.
Required soft skills/WFP Competencies:
- Self starter – ability to work independently, according to an Agile methodology, seeking guidance as required;
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs;
- Ability to work under pressure, and to deliver on tight deadlines;
- Ability to organize and adapt to a high workload and changing priorities;
- Communicate clearly and effectively to a diverse range of internal clients;
- Show proactivity in finding best design approach solutions to complex learning and communication requirements.