ORG. SETTING AND REPORTING
The world looks to the United Nations for solutions to complex problems. Our 40,000 staff work to maintain international peace and security, develop friendly relations among nations and promote social progress, better living standards and human rights. To be effective in solving the world’s problems, the United nations needs a diverse workforce contributing to these solutions. The Office of Human Resources fosters a dynamic, adaptable, mobile workforce, with the highest level of competence and integrity, to effectively and efficiently serve the mandates of the Organization.
The UN offers an exciting diverse and inclusive workplace. This internship provides a unique opportunity to work with colleagues of diverse background to solve a variety of problems. We are seeking an energetic, responsible intern to join the Organization. If you are selected, you will join a global intern cohort and make a real impact by working on challenging and rewarding projects.
The internship position is located in Office of Human Resources (OHR). The Office fosters a dynamic, adaptable, mobile workforce with the highest level of competence and integrity to effectively and efficiently serve the mandates of the Organization.
The OHR internship is for three months with an opportunity for extension to no longer than six months, depending on the needs of the department. The internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work up to five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office where they are assigned.
The Office of Human Resources (OHR) is seeking a passionate young person who is an innovative doer and thinker and interested in making a difference for a better world.
Within delegated authority, the Graphic Design/Data Visualization intern may be responsible for the following duties:
- Create graphically engaging presentations and materials;
- Present visual concepts and ideas in a compelling and attractive manner;
- Assist with data visualization through graphs and maps;
- Update and curate content for social media outlets;
- Research, identify, and test tools and resources to support analysis of various data sources;
- Collect and analyze data and information;
- Generate infographics to support decision makers in their understanding workflows;
- Participate in information management discussions and the design of sustainable visualization solutions including templates and icons;
- Liaise with relevant in-house and external partners as necessary or requested by the Unit;
- Create branding material and engaging visual products for social media, public outreach campaigns, publications, conferences, events and meetings, in accordance with UN design standards and policies on schedule and delivered in a timely manner;
- Other activities and special projects as assigned.
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
- Applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme in journalism, communications, media studies, filmmaking, international relations or related field (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent).
- Be proficient at Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign;
- Be proficient with data visualization tools and applications;
- Be proficient with Excel applications;
- Have knowledge of multimedia or web design and interactive media (web development, including hands-on knowledge of HTML/CSS, databases, webpages, scripting, programming, digital imaging, multimedia design, etc.);
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter;
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- No working experience is required to apply for the United Nations Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the United Nations during your internship.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.