The World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. We are currently seeking to fill a Knowledge Management & Communications Intern position in our Office of Internal Audit in the Inspector General & Oversight Office, based in Rome, Italy.
Brief description of the Office of Internal Audit:
The Office of Internal Audit conducts audits and other advisory services to assess the governance, risk management and internal controls of the World Food Programme (WFP). Each assignment generates knowledge on the office or processes audited and on weaknesses identified that, if analysed, can help identify systemic issues and recurrent risks that require management action.
In order to leverage on the content generated and provide more dynamic feedback, the Office of Internal Audit (OIGA) has created a Knowledge Management Working Group working with the Director and other auditors to revisit processes and roles and embed knowledge sharing good practices in the daily work. This is also through using extensively the functionalities of Office 365, recently rolled out in WFP.
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of an Internal Audit Team Lead, the candidate will perform the following duties:
- Assist in developing and refining the internal communications and knowledge sharing strategy and plan, utilizing WFP’s corporate document management systems and communication tools and processes;
- Help identify which knowledge is relevant and useful for who, and defining and simplifying the structure of the information repository, templates for knowledge products, etc.;
- Support the design of the KM architecture for improved access, use and dissemination of latest information and knowledge generated in the Internal Audit unit;
- Assist in maintaining the communications channels supporting the roll-out of the internal communications and knowledge sharing: disseminating announcements, engaging with the user communities; posting and updating documentation, user guides, image galleries; and other channels as appropriate;
- Contribute to improving the KM architecture and SharePoint solutions to address issues related to performance and troubleshooting;
- Explore and pilot alternative tools for enhancing internal communications and information management with work flow automation tools through various Office 365 tools (Flow, Forms, PowerApps, etc.), and for enhancing information design (communication processes and products).
- Engage with auditors and assist in generating knowledge sharing approaches and products.
Qualifications and experience:
- Currently enrolled with at least two years undergraduate studies completed, or recently graduated (within the past six months) in one of the following disciplines: Communications, archival, information systems or information science, or a related field;
- University course attendance in the past 12 months;
- Excellent command of English; Working knowledge of a second UN language would be an asset;
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook);
- Proficiency in the use and experience in the configuration of MS Office365 (or their consumer equivalents) and related applications for information, document and knowledge management;
- Trained in or first experience in structuring an archive/document management system and/or in optimising document flows;
- Adept at graphic design and formatting, with knowledge of web-design best practices;
- Knowledge or experience with specific Office 365 tools (or their consumer equivalents) such as Planner (Trello), Teams (Slack), OneDrive (DropBox, Google Drive), Power BI, Tableau, etc. is a distinct advantage;
- Experience with Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. for developing communication and promotional strategies is an advantage;
- Completion of courses, training or certificates in communication and project management are considered an asset;
- Knowledge of current theories and practices in Design Thinking, Service Design, and Customer Experience is considered a plus.
Required soft skills/WFP Competencies:
- Strong listening and communication skills;
- Conceptual thinking and methodological work style to advance and promote structured solutions;
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate information with attention to detail and accuracy;
- Ability to observe and understand team dynamics and adapt approaches accordingly;
- Client orientation;
- Drive for change and results;
- Comfortable in a rapidly changing environment, with competing and shifting priorities.
Working Languages: Working knowledge of English (proficiency/level C) is required.