- UNDP works in about 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. We help countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities and build resilience in order to sustain development results.
- UNDP's Strategic Plan (2018-2021) has been designed to be responsive to the wide diversity of the countries we serve. The diversity is reflected in three broad development contexts:
- Eradicate poverty in all its forms and dimensions
- Accelerate structural transformations
- Build resilience to shocks and crises
- UNDP is working to strengthen new frameworks for development, disaster risk reduction and climate change. We support countries' efforts to achieve the new Sustainable Development Goals, which will guide global development priorities through 2030. The key 2030 Agenda principle of leaving no one behind and stamping out inequality is at the core of everything we do.
To respond to these issues, and better focus its resources and expertise to deliver on the 2030 Agenda, UNDP has identified a set of approaches that we call our Signature Solutions:
- Keeping people out of POVERTY
- GOVERNANCE for peaceful, just, and inclusive societies
- Crisis prevention and increased RESILIENCE
- ENVIRONMENT: nature-based solutions for development
- Clean, affordable ENERGY
- Women's empowerment and GENDER equality
UNDP Country Office (CO) Malaysia is committed to assist Malaysia and its people in establishing sustainable pathways to development and achieving its ambition of becoming a developed nation by 2020. Over the years, Malaysia's progress has been impressive as the country has achieved commendable results in some areas and is on track to attaining the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) at the aggregate level in its Voluntary National Review 2017. Staying on course with these results, UNDP Malaysia is working towards realizing the SDGs by 2030. We combine global networks and best practices to indigenous knowledge and experiences to overcome challenges in the areas of:
- Poverty Reduction and Inclusive Growth
- Democratic Governance
- Crisis Prevention and Recovery
- Environment and Energy for Sustainable Development
- Women's Empowerment
- UNDP Malaysia brings together government agencies and development partners to use aid effectively. In all our work, we have strong focus on capacity building, human rights and women’s empowerment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The intern will assist in the following duties and responsibilities:
Duties and responsibilities
Objectives of the internship: Provide interns with an exposure to the working environment of a multilateral organization and a better understanding of UNDP Malaysia’s goals and activities, through practical and guided hands-on exposure and involvement in UNDP’s work in Malaysia.
The key result expected is to support the Partnership Unit in UNDP through research, analysis, writing, project executions and other support as needed. Under the Partnership Coordinator’s supervision, the intern is expected to perform the following tasks:
- Assist in project executions and administrations
- Engage in desk research in the thematic priority areas as determined by the supervisor;
- Compile research findings (e.g. best practices, lessons learned, experiences, and key narratives) on determined thematic areas;
- Provide support to the UNDP CO’s partnerships engagement, where applicable.
- Support other/ad hoc activities as seen relevant and needed.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
- Excellent research, writing and communication skills;
- Good analytical skills in gathering and consolidating data and research for practical implementation;
- Ability to work under pressure, to prioritize and to show a spirit of initiative and a capacity to work in an independent way with limited supervision;
- Good in structuring various tasks and responsibilities;
Other competencies and attitude
- Interest and motivation in working in an international organization;
- Outgoing and initiative-taking person with a goal-oriented mind-set;
- Communicates effectively when working in teams;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
Required Skills and Experience
- Candidates must meet one of the following educational requirements:
- currently enrolled in a master’s degree; or
- have graduated no longer than 1 year from a master’s degree or equivalent studies; or
- enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship programme and undertake the internship as part of this programme.
- Field of study: Economics, Business, Finance, Statistics, Social Sciences or any equivalent.
- Project management and involved in a research cycle (problem inception, literature review, research design, data collection and analysis, report writing);
- Knowledge and a proficient user of Microsoft Office productivity tools;
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English is required;
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken Malay is strongly recommended;