IFC—a sister organization of the World Bank and member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in the toughest areas of the world. In fiscal year 2018, we delivered more than $23 billion in long-term financing for developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity.
The Global Energy (CNGEN) unit, in collaboration with the regional industry groups, is responsible for IFC's energy business, including power generation, midstream energy infrastructure, and transmission and distribution.
CNGEN is looking to recruit an Investment Analyst to work closely with IFC’s Investment Officers as well as sector specialists in the CNGEN team to develop new business, execute transactions and contribute significantly to knowledge dissemination in the energy space across regional and project teams, including via management of sector benchmarks, research of industry trends and IFC lessons of experience in the sector. Some travel may be required.
Role & Responsibilities :
Investment analysts work closely with IFC’s investment officers, who are responsible for the origination, structuring, negotiation, execution and subsequent supervision of IFC’s investment projects.
- Conducting industry and market research, and assisting in the team’s marketing and business development efforts, including preparing pitch books for clients.
- Assisting in screening and analyzing new business opportunities, including building and reviewing financial models to assess the viability of investment projects, and employing other valuations methodologies, to support the investment analysis.
- Preparing internal investment proposal documents, including description of rationale and risks of the proposed investment, for presentation to senior management and credit.
- Participating in investment appraisals in host countries and negotiations with clients.
- Monitoring existing investments in portfolio companies, including various types of financial entities.
- Work closely with sector specialists on benchmarking of technical performance of IFC energy projects;
- Work closely with the team on evolving strategy for investment in the sector, drafting power point presentations and evaluating portfolio performance to improve profitability and impact for IFC in the sector;
- Organize workshops and conferences for business development and disseminate lessons learned internally;
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree with specialization in finance, economics or business.
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience as an investment analyst at an international investment bank, commercial bank, private equity firm or asset management firm. Previous exposure to the energy and power sector would be a plus.
- Strong quantitative/numerical skills with significant experience to interpret financial information and to develop and analyze excel-based financial models.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in multicultural teams and across regions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English; knowledge of other languages would be a plus.
- Highly motivated and proactive, committed to highest ethical standards.
- Interest in the World Bank Group and IFC’s mission, strategy and values.