Current Hiring Practices and Trends in the Development Sector
- BY David Mackenzie
Duties and Accountabilities:
• Demonstrate a thorough understanding of banking, financial institutions and related industry knowledge;
• Develop investment promotion strategies in the region, including targeting potential investors and promoting IFC's products and services proactively;
• Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to develop specific investment opportunities;
• Evaluate, structure, negotiate, and close new transactions, portfolio restructurings, rescheduling, capital increases, equity sales, as necessary, with a strong focus on credit and asset quality (include processing mandates, due diligence, negotiating term sheets and other documentation, syndications and board approval);
• Provide support to regional industry and portfolio teams in processing and supervising regionally managed projects;
• Assist in the development of the Financial Institutions Group’s knowledge management strategy, and assist in execution of this strategy;
• Coordinate closely with social, environmental, advisory and technical assistance colleagues in order to champion IFC’s value to our clients' businesses, find pragmatic solutions to the specific sector challenges, and achieve sustainable development impact;
• Take responsibility for supervision of one or more investments in the financial industry sector, with particular focus on problem/restructuring situations;
• Mentor and coach less-experienced investment staff and help build talent and grow skill base of staff;
• Assist in other project or strategy related activities as the need may arise.
• Master’s degree in finance, economics or other related areas; accreditation as a CFA or CPA is considered a plus.
• Minimum 8-10 years of experience in the financial sector, with evidence of growing expertise in banking and non-banking financial institutions and finance related disciplines;
• Strong financial and credit skills; demonstrated ability to structure and negotiate a variety of complex financial instruments (debt and equity).
• Strong skills in evaluation of risk and ability to anticipate short and long term implications of decisions.
• Ability to make sound decisions and commit to decisions.
• Hold self and team accountable for risk management and outcomes.
• Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior management of potential clients, of financial and technical partners as well as senior government officials.
• Ability to systematically share with others good practice and learning from lessons from across WBG, clients, and partners.
• Considered an expert in the subject area and is sought out by colleagues to advise, peer review, or contribute to knowledge products of others.
• Skilled in collaboration across boundaries and broadly, ability to bring differing ideas into the forefront.
• Good relationship management skills with proven track record of success in developing client relationships and execution of client engagements.
• Knowledge and Experience in International Economic Development Arena and commitment to sustainable development.
• Excellent business judgment and strong analytical and problem solving skills to identify issues and present creative, practical solutions.
• Great team player, able to mentor and train more junior staff.
• Capacity to deal with conflicting priorities and deliver high quality work on schedule; facility to work successfully in multicultural teams and across boundaries.
• Excellent oral and written presentation skills in English are required; additional major language such as Chinese desirable.