Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Department of Operational Support, Office of Information and Communications Technology (UN DOS-OICT) is responsible for the delivery of applications and technologies that satisfy the requirements of the Departments of Peacekeeping Operations and Operational Support (DPO/DOS) missions as well as Special Political Missions (SPMs).
The IT Engineer will carry out his/her tasks within the Platform Support Unit in the Field Technology Service (FTS) at the UN ICT Facility, Valencia (UNICTFV) which is part of DOS. Under the overall supervision of UNOPS Senior Programme Manager, the incumbent works under overall guidance of the Chief Infrastructure and Operations Section at the UN ICT Facility, Valencia (UNICTFV) and under direct guidance for day-today operations of the Chief of the Platform Support Unit in the UNGSC Valencia, Spain. The incumbent will administratively report to the Information Systems Officer.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for or in the United Nations Secretariat. The incumbent of this position will be a staff member of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
The IT Engineer provides specific expertise in the implementation and operation of the UN Hybrid Cloud strategy for the back end infrastructure including: storage arrays, SAN switches, processing cloud services and tools to monitor performance, availability and capacity of the hybrid environment.
The IT Engineer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Help to architect and build automated cloud solutions, including cloud adoption plans, cloud management and monitoring, new cloud technologies integration, and data center migrations.
- Operate Amazon Web Services cloud and on-prem infrastructure at data centres as well as overlay onto existing hosted server network.
- Be involved in systems engineering and configuration management frameworks, such as Ansible and SCCM to automate operational processes.
- Assume role as Technical Lead on deployment projects, including hands-on configuration of complex components.
- Provide technical expertise and act as Subject Matter Expert to solve complex problems on cloud and data centre specific activities.
- Understand all domains of architecture and apply that knowledge to create repeatable and automated solutions to address complex business needs.
- Continually explore, evaluate and recommend advanced technologies to provide higher quality service, scalability and modern architectural standards.
- Participate on the team standby duty roster as required.
- Other tasks and responsibilities as assigned
Impact of Results
The effective and successful achievement of key results by the IT Engineer directly affects the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the relevant business unit/project, in ICT management, impacting the timely and effective implementation of the respective services and deliverables. This ensures client satisfaction and promotes the image and credibility of UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management. This enhances UNOPS’ competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services in the country/region served.
- A Master's degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics, Engineering, Statistics, or relevant field is required
- A Bachelor’s degree in combination with an additional two (2) years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the Master’s degree
- A Secondary Education with eleven (11) years of qualifying experience may be accepted.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in the field of information technology and/or telecommunications and systems.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in a large, enterprise environment at the international level.
- A minimum two (2) years of experience in cloud technologies and DevOps methodologies preferably in Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Microsoft Azure.
- A minimum five (5) of experience with Linux and Windows technologies and their use in delivering secure, highly available, mission critical enterprise-class solutions.
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience in cloud on boarding and deployments.
- Solid scripting skills (e.g. shell scripts, PowerShell, Python).
- Experience with Identity Management and related technologies (Microsoft Active Directory) / Red Hat IDM.
- Expertise with Infrastructure as a Code (IaC) such as Terraform
- Experience with automation software such as SCCM or Ansible
- Expertise with Log Management Platform such as Elastic, Kibana, Logstash
- Solid networking knowledge (OSI network layers, TCP/IP)
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset