The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
This jobs is located in Provincial Office (PO), Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan. The Job holder reports to a Chief or Information Technology Officer in overall supervision of Chief Provincial Officer or the designate.
To deliver standard software and hardware support services, as well as monitoring and maintaining a wide range of information sources, to contribute to the effective delivery of IT services.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Carry-out system and equipment maintenance tasks, such as back-up system data and system protection, to ensure they are running effectively and enable easy and efficient use.
- Undertake basic monitoring and troubleshooting of server systems to ensure a consistent delivery of IT services to staff.
- Respond to basic queries about technology and systems to support the correct application of technology.
- Receive and inspect all incoming assets and report discrepancies in IT materials inventory to senior colleagues to ensure materials are effectively tracked.
- Perform basic beta testing and support the roll out of new versions of centrally supported software to ensure software is operational for WFP staff.
- Ensure information is up to date and accurate within inventories, databases, websites, and archives in order to support senior officers in managing these systems.
- With direction from senior colleagues, collate information to be included in standard material such as training documentation and web content, to contribute to the availability of information about services and products.
- Follow set emergency response processes and procedures as required to provide support in enabling emergency food assistance needs to be met.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- The IT Assistant will be responsible for the IT technical support to the users based in Sindh province.
- Maintain technology, including standard repairs, configuration, and installations to ensure network faults are dealt with in a timely manner.
- Network monitoring of links in the area & analyze networking problems, recommend solutions to modify and improve equipment, facilities and services.
- Provide IT Service desk function and ensure that IT support t is being provided according to agreed levels and within agreed defined time frame.
- Perform and monitor routine deployments of network equipment (AP’s, switches, VSAT and firewall etc) and software, including testing and the identification of problems, to contribute to the effective functioning of technology.
- Ensure WFP operations are aligned with corporate IT security policy.
- Ensure all IT related services have adequate access with maximum availability and minimized down time;
- Ensure appropriate data security and access controls are implemented considering both local and wide area issues.
- Maintenance and management of Windows Active Directory based network.
- Administer & maintain use of the LAN, WAN devices such as switches, access points, Wireless Access Controllers, firewalls and servers.
- Ensure the data integrity and availability in case of disasters. Ensure proper backup and storage of data of file, print and other services.
- Respond to a variety of queries about technology and systems.
- Perform other related duties as required.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
Governance, Strategy and Architecture: Demonstrates awareness of overall IT governance structure and system architecture development to support the process and assist in design of interaction between systems
Change Implementation, Project management, Planning and Optimization: Has basic understanding of project management principles to provide basic estimates on timing, resource utilisation and costs to facilitate the project planning process.
Technical Expertise: Understands technical aspects of own job and applies them in a thorough and systematic manner to analyze customer’s technical issues and offer value adding advice and/or solutions.
Service Management: Understands and follows the established standards and protocols for service excellence within own domain to maintain quality of delivery and high levels of customer satisfaction.
Client Management: Demonstrates working understanding of existing hardware, software, servers and network management to resolve users’ routine problems using WFP’s established processes and tools.
Procurement and Contract Management: Assists in the technology selection process by collating information on vendors and/or products for evaluation against criteria.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate/diploma in the related functional area is desirable.
Experience: At least four years of progressively responsible job related experience in information technology or telecommunications or information management, such as, WAN/LAN networking, operating systems, telephone services or similar. Some experience in client support, such as, Help Desk or User Support Unit and or maintenance service, hotline, or similar)
Language: Fluency in English & Urdu language. Knowledge of Sindhi language is an asset.
General Service (Field): Fluency in both oral and written communication in the UN language in use at the duty station and in the duty station’s language, if different.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Bachelor Degree in computer science, telecommunications, and computer technology, Information Technology or other IT related field.
- UN experience will have an added advantage
- Has experience resolving more complex technical issues.
- Has worked with head of units in defining requirements for functional area.
- Has experience with the application of client services standards to resolve or escalate clients’ service problems.