The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We look for applicants with the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian values. We commit to promote diversity, gender parity and equality between men and women.
WFP strives to build a work environment that is safe and respectful, and free of sexual harassment and abuse of authority. We believe in open communication, and every individual at WFP is treated with respect regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, religious and political beliefs, etc.
In this pursuit, WFP assists women to balance work exigencies with personal and family responsibilities by providing an attractive compensation package, including fully paid maternity leave for 16 weeks, breastfeeding time off, and the possibility to avail of flexible working arrangements. Also, we endeavour to provide our staff, women, and men, with training and professional career development opportunities.
These jobs are found in Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureaux (RBs), and Headquarters (HQ). The Job holders report to a Head of the Unit, Chief or Information Technology Officer.
At this level job holders are expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis. Job holders are expected to manage resources and coach and coordinate a team of support staff.
To coordinate and guide Information Technology maintenance and support activities to enable the effective delivery of IT services.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Carry out system and hardware maintenance tasks, such as running specialized network monitoring and system protection, to ensure technology is running effectively.
- Monitor technology reliability, identify user needs, analyses data and produce accurate reports in order to recommend IT solutions to support informative decision-making.
- Resolve queries independently, escalating if required, to ensure that standard IT questions are answered and accurate information is provided to staff.
- Provide standard technical training to end users of commonly used technology and systems, in order to assist WFP staff in conducting their work.
- Provide guidance and training to junior colleagues in the delivery of IT support services to support the capability building of staff.
- Support the co-ordination of new application implementation in order to provide WFP staff with the tools they need to perform effectively.
- Draft standard material such as end-user and technical documentation to ensure staff have access to required information about IT services and products.
- Implement improvements to methods and processes within the IT division in order to support the continuous improvement of IT services provided.
- Coordinate installation and maintenance of telecommunications systems and equipment, to ensure optimal services in compliance with standard operations procedures.
- Coordinate a team of IT staff to ensure individual and team objectives are met in compliance with all relevant regulations and policies.
- Follow set emergency response processes and procedures as required to provide support in enabling emergency food assistance needs to be met.
- Assist the IT Service Desk Team Leader in staffing, shift work planning, coordination, supervision, scheduling, development, evaluation and reporting;
- Act as a shift in-charge for a shift as per the roster (The service operates on a 24/7/365 basis with stand-by shifts on weekends. Shift duty is mandatory including stand-by weekend shifts);
- Act as a service process improvement expert for an ITIL process-based support center environment, analyze the current state of service level agreement compliance and suggest measures for improvement;
- Coordinate and develop IT trainings contents, work-flow, procedures, and provide training to IT Assistants on underlying tools, applications and technology for existing and new services;
- Have the knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
- Experience: At least five (5) years of progressively responsible work experience in the relative area (Information Technology maintenance)
- Language: Fluency in English and Arabic.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has experience analysing service management results and development service enhancement recommendations.
- Has participated in business process re-engineering efforts and identified service management improvements.
- Has experience participating in country office procurement/budgeting process.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
- Governance, Strategy and Architecture Demonstrates awareness of overall IT governance structure and system architecture development to support the process and assist in design of interaction between systems.
- Change Implementation, Project management, Planning and Optimization Has basic understanding of project management principles to provide basic estimates on timing, resource utilisation and costs to facilitate the project planning process.
- Technical Expertise Continuously updates one’s own knowledge about new technologies and product modifications; Is sought out for advice/expertise and recognized internally as an important technical reference.
- Service Management Monitors and supervises maintenance and installation work against the established standards and protocols for service excellence and takes proper actions to correct inconsistencies and improve overall quality and customer satisfaction. Ensures that operational problems are identified and resolved.
- Client Management Exhibits a detailed understanding of customers’ IT requests in order to effectively address and manage internal customers ‘needs. Identifies recurrent issues to propose long-term solutions.
- Procurement and Contract Management Able to conduct a cost-benefit analysis of alternative technologies and vendor service level agreements to consolidate options and assess suitability.