Junior Research Fellow
Trivedi Center For Political Data, Sonipat, India
Closing Date for Applications:
The Trivedi Centre for Political Data aims at promoting data-driven research, policy work and journalism on India’s political life by producing and disseminating in open access scientifically collected and treated political data. It also aims at improving the quality of existing public data by developing and providing access to web-based tools adapted to Indian data. It also aims at enhancing knowledge and understanding on political processes and dynamics by conducting research on the basis of the data collected, in partnership with individual scholars or academic institutions.
About The Position:
The Trivedi Centre for Political Data (TCPD) at Ashoka University seeks to hire a full-time junior research fellow to help build new infrastructure, data and technology for research on Indian political data, as well as to conduct original research on contemporary Indian politics.
At TCPD, you will have opportunities to deep dive into the following areas of work:
- Open source technologies in various fields, such as databases, data visualization
- Building skills in computational methods, with the Centre’s team of software engineers.
- Contribute to the public debate on contemporary politics in India by producing original datasets and research in the fields of women and minorities representation, political violence, electoral and party politics, Political Economy, identity politics.
- You will also collaborate with researchers, academics in political science and computer science in India and abroad, attend major disciplinary and methods conferences. You will also be encouraged to conduct and publish your own research.
- Contribute to the design of data management systems and data maintenance
- Lead and coordinate teams of fellows, students and junior scholars on data projects
- Train fellows and students to data handling
- Take the lead in at least one major research project of the Centre
- Create a culture of data integrity and professionalism
- Create and work towards a data infrastructure strategy
- Create a roadmap of implementation/insertion aligned with the Centre’s research objectives.
Required Skills And Qualifications
- Bachelors or Master’s Degree in a social science discipline like Political Science, Empirical Sociology, Economics or Statistics
- Computer skills: Advanced knowledge of R, general methods of data mining, data crawling
- Prior experience in managing data focused projects and teams
- Excellent communication, verbal and written skills
- Experience in working with structured and unstructured data
Desired Skills And Qualifications
- Willingness to learn the use of web-based tools for social science research
- Data visualization skills (or desire to learn visualization tools)
- Desire to expand knowledge of the academic literature on Indian politics
- Ability to work in an academic setting
- Quantitative methods abilities
- Open to travel abroad and to conduct fieldwork in India