PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The WASH Knowledge Management, Capability and Programme Communications Manager optimizes WASH capability and knowledge management among World Vision (WV) entities, enabling WASH sector staff and related teams to learn, grow, and deliver quality WASH programming that impacts the most vulnerable children, and furthers the goals of the sector strategy.
This role will collaboratively develop, implement and maintain a WASH capability enhancement system (including guidelines, processes, competencies, learning assets and learning pathways) and support WASH team members and affiliates from support offices, regional offices and field offices to plan and implement comprehensive WASH competency and capability strengthening interventions.
This role will also manage and provide expert advice to the sector Communities of Practice and other learning networks regarding collecting and sharing lessons learned, identifying and validating promising and good practices for programme quality improvement, increasing staff capacity, subject matter expert identification, and planning online learning opportunities for Community of Practice members. In conjunction with the Global Knowledge Management team, s/he will establish knowledge management systems and processes to ensure cross Partnership learning and development and support world-class implementation of selected sector interventions or project models.
This role is also is responsible to ensure evidence of World Vision’s impact in WASH is communicated with important internal and external stakeholders. This evidence will be used by marketing and communications teams to support fundraising efforts and to build WV’s reputation as a global leader in the WASH industry.
The WASH Knowledge Management and Capability Advisor will engage externally to share and also explore/learn how other organizations use knowledge management principles and practices to support learning, programme quality improvement and thought leadership in WASH . S/he is responsible to assure connections with academic institutions and other organizations to partner as appropriate for the benefit of Partnership wide WASH Capability and KM agenda and systems, and to identify learning opportunities.
Set Strategic Priorities:
- Create, implement, and nurture the sector Capability Strengthening and KM plan.
- Ensure a comprehensive sector job family is developed and maintained to improve recruitment in partnership with P&C and technical experts.
- Lead the design and implementation of a WASH technical capability strengthening system to provide a clear path for WASH staff development Subject Matter Expert accreditation; (in partnership with P&C, learning & development, and sector technical colleagues).
- Lead the development of sector learning assets and platforms that cover the full employee life-cycle (i.e. onboarding, compliance training, on-going professional development) in partnership with sector technical experts.
- Manage, nurture, and grow the sector CoPs , as well as the tools/technologies required to support it.
- Collaboratively develop and implement a sector internal/external communications plan for key programmatic learnings (with special focus on conferences and online forums), in collaboration with Sr. Advisor External Engagement.
- Establish and steward a system that identifies, validates and appropriately disseminates emerging promising practices, best practices, partnership and innovations.
Internal and External Communications:
- Manages internal and external WASH--related communication to ensure relevant information, resources and knowledge assets relevant to our programming approach and impact reach appropriate audiences.
- Ensure that M&E data and research are socialized internally and that key findings are reviewed and validated for programme quality improvement.
- Review and, at times, develop external-facing communications that position WV as a thought leader in WASH.
- In collaboration with key stakeholders design the WASH capability development system including competency frameworks, policies, standards, guidelines and capability strengthening interventions and processes that lead to accreditation of technical staff.
- Develop and disseminate robust capability assessment practices and tools to identify sector learning and capability needs to prioritize solutions.
- Partner with RO and SO leaders to continuously assess WASH capacity building needs among FOs and ensure the provision of coordinated support to address identified needs.
- Lead the development of defined Learning Pathways for key technical areas (i.e. onboarding, certification, on-going professional development and capacity building) in partnership with SMEs, and maintain oversight of end-to-end design applying the 70:20:10 framework.
- Develop, maintain and effectively disseminate WASH technical competencies and associated assessments and competency learning pathways to help facilitate onboarding, certification, on-going professional development and capacity building) in partnership.
- Plan, create, and lead collaborative design efforts to design learning content using adult learning methodologies and ensuring alignment to sector competency frameworks in collaboration with Learning & Development and sector technical experts.
- Provide management support and advice to CoPs to be channels for sharing information and best practices, facilitating input into sector technical resources, identifying subject matter experts, establishing research priorities, identifying capacity building needs, building an evidence base for WV’s project models and approaches.
- Develop and oversee a system to regularly track sector capability to maintain a portfolio view of sector capability across the Partnership in partnership with peer sector Capability/KM Managers.
- Establish knowledge and information management systems and processes to ensure cross Partnership learning.
- Manage development of communications materials to share World Vision WASH’s evidence of impact and programmatic learning.
Promote WV Way:
- Manage information dissemination throughout the Sector and external audiences, including managing CoP meetings and conference participation.
- Develop and manage sector Information Newsletters, partnership articles and publications; provides support for the CoPs in the same activities for their programmatic areas.
- In conjunction with the GKM team, develop requirements and manage all Sector KM/CoP web-based information tools including team websites, taxonomies, digital library, CoP social Networking systems and email listservs.
- Represent sector on Partnership Working and Advisory groups tasked with global tools development. (wvcentral and wvi.org, GKM Business Team).
- Support the strengthening and building of strategic partnerships with external humanitarian learning agencies and academic institutions to explore practices of others in WASH capability development/KM and discern external WASH accreditation, access or learning opportunities for WASH staff.
- Engage our external peer partners in knowledge sharing, learning & development, and collaboration on our sector strategies.
- Represent WV among other NGO Knowledge Management Specialists to build collaborative relationships, keep abreast of trends, and promote WV’s better practices in its KM work.
- Support WV engagement in prioritized external events.
- Member of the Global Sector Senior Leadership team.
- Member of the GKM KM/CoP advisory committee.
- Carry out additional responsibilities and projects as assigned, including administrative and planning functions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Master’s Degree in sector or other related field, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 5 years’ knowledge management or related experience.
- Knowledge Management training.
- Excellent document editing, formatting and publication skills.
- Strategic communications planning and implementation of communications tactics/tools.
- Experience in developing and using competency frameworks for technical staff.
- Knowledge Management training / certification / and or experience.
- Experience in staff management / capability development and research.
- Experience in formation and nurturing of virtual communities of practices, networks, etc.
- Facilitation skills.