BACKGROUND INFORMATION - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
- UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
- Working with us
- UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
- With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
- Work life harmonization
- UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
BACKGROUND INFORMATION - IMPLEMENTATION PRACTICES AND STANDARDS (IPS)
Within UNOPS, Implementation Practices and Standards (IPS) is responsible for the UNOPS delivery practices. IPS provides thought leadership, standards and oversight as support to the successful delivery of programmes and projects within UNOPS service lines (infrastructure, procurement, project management, human resources and financial management services).
- IPS is comprised of the Infrastructure and Project Management Group and the Procurement Group which aims to reduce organizational risks, improve project performance, and promote excellence across UNOPS projects through the Standards Management Framework; and provides organisational oversight on the application of standards. These Groups also support the positioning of UNOPS in the UN system and development sector in Infrastructure, Project Management and Procurement.
- The Portfolio support unit which aims at building up and managing the organisational readiness of UNOPS and therefore support the implementation of the UNOPS global portfolio. It also provides support services to the Implementation Practices and Standards function.
- IPS is also hosting the Knowledge Management corporate initiative.
BACKGROUND INFORMATION - JOB-SPECIFIC
Through its 2018-2021 Strategic Plan adopted in September 2017, UNOPS has made Knowledge Management one of its key priorities and displays a clear ambition to focus knowledge management on efforts to harness expertise for integrated service offerings and specialized solutions, based on realized or anticipated demand towards specific goals and operational contexts. As such, UNOPS Strategic Plan specifies that the baseline for the UNOPS knowledge management strategy will be that past and future demand will help focus investments for reuse and innovation of expertise, especially with regards to institutional capabilities.
- To achieve organization-wide knowledge management, UNOPS has launched a corporate initiative during the last quarter of 2017, to be pursued through 2021. It especially poses the needs for the knowledge management activities to be integrated into UNOPS existing structures and workplans so that it becomes inherent in UNOPS core business.
- Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Knowledge Management Specialist, the successful candidate will be responsible for supporting a variety of tasks and work packages as a part of her/his internship period. We are seeking qualified applicants who have strong communication and planning skills and capacity in digital media. The successful candidate must be client/service-oriented as well as structured, organized and detail-oriented. In addition, the incumbent is expected to demonstrate willingness and ability to learn all online tools used by UNOPS, provide guidance and assistance as required to UNOPS personnel and overall continually improve required technical skills under the guidance of the KM Specialist. The incumbent’s support will be focused on, but not limited to, knowledge management and communication activities.
At the end of this internship, the successful candidate will have gained in:
- Exposure to UNOPS knowledge management corporate standards and activities (ultimately leading to Knowledge Management Specialist or Advisor career path);
- Specific experience in communications at the corporate level, another core function within UNOPS (ultimately leading to Communications Specialist or Advisor career path);
- Exposure to an international work environment;
- Exposure to headquarters.
- The internship is expected to start February 2021 for a duration of 6 months. This period can be renewed once for another 6 months, subject to performance and availability of funds.
Overall support to a variety of tasks and work packages in the area of support services, more specifically communications, in alignment with the IPMG annual work plan:
Knowledge Management support
- Support the implementation of the Communities of Practice (COPs) in UNOPS by reporting on community analytics and supporting knowledge sharing initiatives within the COPs.
- Support the KM specialist in the role of Knowledge Management Focal Point for Community Managers and Practitioners.
- Assist the KM Specialist in monitoring and evaluation of the Knowledge Management strategy objectives.
- Support the KM specialist by scheduling and attending Knowledge Management meetings, including taking meetings and following up on action points.
- Provide support to translation exercises, including review of translation as requested;
- Support the setup of web conferencing and other online collaborative workspaces as requested.
- Assist in maintaining the Knowledge Management site on the intranet, including relevant material and documents on the KM intranet.
Support to communications-related initiatives related to Knowledge Management
- Support the Knowledge Management strategy through the communication and dissemination of KM products developed by the KM Team.
- Support the Knowledge Management initiative by responding to emails and requests sent to Knowledge Management.
- Provide support to UNOPS Town Halls, webinars and other corporate initiatives involving KM products and initiatives.
- Completion of secondary school or equivalent is required.
- To be eligible for this particular internship with UNOPS, the candidate must be studying towards a university degree in communications, business management, or other relevant discipline, or have graduated with a relevant university degree in the past three years.
- While no prior work experience is required, some experience in digital media, communications, web content management, ideally within the development sector, is highly desirable.
- Additional requirements
- Excellent communications skills, especially English writing skills and copy editing, is required.
- Experience with online communications and digital media is required.
- Strong technical skills and experience working with Google suite is required.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office or similar software is an asset.
- Experience with desktop publishing software (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite) is an asset.
- Experience working with content management systems (e.g. Craft), including metadata management, site architecture, developing workflows, and Google analytics is an asset.
- Fluency and proficiency in English is required.
- Proficiency in French or Spanish is required, and proficiency in other languages such as in Arabic is an asset, but not required