Labour Law and Labour Standards Specialist
International labour organisation(ILO), Cairo, Egypt
Closing Date for Applications:
- Conduct research on legal frameworks, institutions and practices that may be useful for sound labour market governance and the promotion of mature social dialogue and negotiations.
- Take responsibility in policy formulation and give advice to ILO constituents on issues regarding the application of international labour standards and the strengthening of labour relations practices and institutions, including through the promotion of technical cooperation activities.
- Ensure that governments accomplish on a timely basis their obligations in terms of presentation of periodic reports, in accordance with article 19 and 22 of the Constitution, and follow up adequately the comments of different ILO supervisory bodies, such as the Committee of Experts on the Application of Conventions and Recommendations, the Conference Committee on the Application of Standards, and the Committee of Freedom of Association.
- Provide regular reports concerning work carried out in the countries covered by the Decent Work Team as inputs for the work of the Committee of Experts on the Applications of Conventions and Recommendations.
- Collaborate with ILO specialists to advice on labour law reform and prepare coordinated comments on draft laws based on international labour standards and comparative labour law and practice, in close coordination with Headquarters.
- Advice ILO constituents on the application of labour law and collective agreements as an effective means to attaining the Organization´s decent work and social justice goals, taking into account ILO standards and adequate practices at the international level.
- Establish and maintain close relations with employers' and workers' organizations, informing and advising them on matters related to ILO Standards, national labour law reform and labour relations.
- Participate as an expert/adviser in the various committees or other official meetings dealing with legal and labour relations issues, including preparing background material and documents, drafting records of meetings and reports, etc.
- Design, implement and evaluate technical cooperation projects to support the application of international labour standards and the promotion of sound labour relations.
- Examine reports by governments on ratified and unratified Conventions and Recommendations. Examine and analyse complaints. Prepare comparative analyses of the legislation and practice of the different member States.
- Draft comments for presentation to and discussion with high-level committees and/or groups of experts Provide advice to colleagues on labour standards under the incumbent's responsibility.
- Prepare legal opinions and interpretations on a variety of legal questions or in a specialised field.
- Prepare notes, reports and documents concerning questions of international law or labour standards, including requests for interpretations on complex legal questions, for consideration by governments, the Governing Body, the International Labour Conference and the Director-General. Develop strategies for follow-up to decisions made by policy bodies.
- Analyse draft labour legislation submitted by governments to the ILO for comments prior to adoption.
- Undertake research and write studies on complex problems (i.e. judging compatibility between legislation and practice) relating to international labour standards, labour law and labour relations, as well as prepare general surveys, manuals and articles. Supervise the preparation of statements on questions of public international law relevant to the work of the ILO. Advise on the position to be taken by the Organization on these issues.
- Review and approve instruments of ratification.
- Provide technical support to special tripartite committees established by the Governing Body or commissions of inquiry to examine alleged infringements of ratified Conventions.
- Represent the work unit at meetings, including Conference committees and industrial committees, to provide advice on legal questions or questions concerning international labour standards or labour relations. Act as adviser to Conference committees and assist in the drafting of international legal instruments and participate in preconference work, including drafting committees. Represent the Office at meetings of other international organisations.
- Develop, plan and implement technical advisory and promotional activities, including tripartite seminars, workshops, lectures and discussion groups. Represent the Office on missions which may be of a sensitive or controversial nature and before judicial bodies. Represent the work unit on internal committees or at inter-agency meetings.
- Participate in the secretariat of various committees dealing with legal issues or labour standards, including preparation of background material and documents, drafting records of meetings, drafting reports, etc.
- Advanced university degree in law.
- Minimum of eight years' practical experience at the national level or at least six years at the international level.
- Proven experience and knowledge of ILO procedures for the adoption of international labour standards, the supervision of their application and the practice of ILO supervisory bodies.
- Experience in fundamental labour rights, labour relations systems, institutions and procedures of social dialogue.
- Practical experience and proven ability to work in close collaboration with social partners and government representatives.
- Project management experience.
- Excellent command of English and French.
- Good knowledge of Arabic would be an advantage.