Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
- The purpose of the Uganda Health Systems Strengthening (UHSS) activity is to strengthen Uganda's health system through improved leadership and accountability for results in public and private health sectors at national, sub national and community levels.
- UHSS will provide technical assistance for system strengthening interventions to increase efficient use, governance, and management of key health system resources, including human resources for health. UHSS will strengthen state and non-state community health systems that are critical for quality health services. The program will operate from 2019 to 2024 and will work closely with government entities such as the Ministry of Health (MOH), Ministry of Finance (MOF), and local governments; other development partners and USAID projects, including the Regional Health Integration to Enhance Services (RHITES) projects; and private sector stakeholders
- Manage and mentor the Leadership and Accountability Team of the UHSS Project
- Develop work plans and design technical approaches and activities to build capacity at national and district levels in Leadership and Accountability aligned to the UHSS technical objectives and project indictors
- Responsible for strengthening leadership and management capacity, improving transparency, accountability and the advancement of health policies, standards and regulations in both the public and private sector.
- Responsible for engaging leaders in the MOH to restructure, incentivize and improve performance and accountability at all levels of the system. This individual will play an integral role in developing and rolling out leadership and management skills building trainings and mentoring and will promote and institutionalize management for results.
- Responsible for improving governance in the private sector through facilitating PPPs between the MOH, donors, and key stakeholders. Fostering greater inclusion of the private sector in health policy and harmonizing PNFP and PFP with GOU regulations and standards
- Responsible for strengthening MOH capacity for policy development and implementation, strategic and operational planning, and policy advocacy
- Responsible for facilitating and supporting functional leadership networks within USAID regions, fostering the use of hub and spoke models for RRH and lower level facilities
- This position will manage several embedded staff at the MOH and also project staff
- Advise the Chief of Party on issues of technical feasibility and effectiveness of proposed project activities
- Monitor and report on project implementation
- Represent Palladium at national, regional, and global technical forums
- Master's degree or PhD in International Development, Public Health, Health Policy, Political Science, Economics, or related field
- At least 8 years of experience in providing technical assistance on large international development projects
- Technical expertise in health systems strengthening. Expertise in one or more of the following specific areas is required:
- Leadership, Management and Accountability
- Policy and Advocacy
- Planning and Budgeting
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Demonstrated capacity to build and maintain productive working relationships with a wide network of partners and stakeholders.
- Strong knowledge of USAID administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems
- Must have strong oral and written communication and presentation skills in English
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite applications.
- Must be willing to be based in Kampala, Uganda