UNV’s Management Services hold the responsibility for the strategic planning, managerial leadership, oversight and quality control of an integrated platform of operational services ensuring timely, effective and efficient delivery according to corporate performance standards and in compliance with the UN Regulations and Rules and UNDP´s accountability framework.
Reporting to the Team Leader, Capacity Development and Learning in UNV’s Human Resources Section, the Learning Specialist coordinates the learning and development activities and services for UN Volunteers working with UN agencies globally. In supporting UN Volunteers in their onboarding, professional development and career transition, she/he promotes a client-oriented environment, innovative approaches and learning solutions to achieve results.
The Learning Specialist works in close collaboration with business units across UNV in designing, implementing and delivering complex capacity development programmes and learning solutions for a large, diverse and global audience. In so doing she/he collaborates closely with UN agencies hosting UN volunteers as well as with external service providers and consultants.
Duties and Responsibilities
Design, planning and delivery of learning programmes for UN Volunteers
- Analyze learning needs of UN Volunteers related to their onboarding, professional development and career transition; consult with stakeholders – UNV regional and field offices as well as with UN host agencies – to identify skills and performance gaps;
- Design and develop learning programmes for UN Volunteers serving across the UN System, enabling an outstanding UN Volunteer experience and performance, including through effective pre-deployment preparation, onboarding, professional development and career transition;
- Manage onboarding, professional development and career transition programmes for UN Volunteers delivered online or onsite through external service providers;
- Deliver or oversee the delivery of onsite trainings and workshops for UN Volunteers;
- Procure professional services from vendors and consultants based on terms of references, scope of work and business requirements for volunteer learning activities and related projects;
- Manage the delivery of services of external consultants and vendors in line with project plans, timelines and budgets;
- Plan, carry out and compile evaluations and statistics to report of volunteer learning programmes and activities and recommend actions and adjustments to increase impact;
- Forecast, monitor, and produce reports on the learning funds, project budgets and expenditures.
Design, planning and implementation of learning and training programmes for UN Youth Volunteers
- Analyze learning needs of UN Youth Volunteers in particular related to their onboarding professional development and career planning;
- Design assignment preparation training for UN Youth Volunteers and other learning activities based on best practices as well as learning priorities of youth volunteers, host agencies and donors;
- Coordinate the delivery of onsite Assignment Preparation Trainings at headquarter and regional levels;
- Evaluate and report on learning activities for UN Youth Volunteers.
Learning portal administration and system configuration
- Manage the learning management system and other learning platforms for UN Volunteers, including system administration, content, user support and vendor relations;
- As system administrator, configure, manage and maintain up-to-date all volunteer learning platforms and learning management systems used by UNV in support of its learning programmes for UN Volunteers;
- Coordinate the development, design, testing and set-up of online learning content, training materials, eLearning courses, communities and other technology-based learning tools and their subsequent administration;
- Work closely with external service providers to communicate, escalate and resolve platform, system, technical or service-related issues;
- Set-up and oversee user support and helpdesk functions and resolve issues, provide guidance or orient users.
Support to UNV capacity development projects
- Draft and review volunteer learning policies, procedures and instructions governing UNV’s volunteer learning programmes and volunteers access to professional development support and allowances;
- Build and maintain consistent overview of relevant external learning and training offers and potential partners for collaboration;
- Advise and provide inputs to the design and delivery of capacity development initiatives and volunteer infrastructure projects containing training or capacity development components;
- Research and share instructional design best practices, innovative learning approaches and new learning solutions and technologies to increase the impact of UNV’s volunteer learning activities.
- Innovation:Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Leadership: Ability to persuade others to follow
- People Management: Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Communication: Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Delivery: Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Learning and Development: Knowledge of enterprise learning and development issues, concepts, and principles, and ability to apply them to enhance the fulfilment and performance of employees
- Training: Ability to ascertain need, plan, design, and execute training
- Knowledge Facilitation: Ability to animate individuals and communities of contributors to participate and share
- Relationship Management: Ability to engage and foster strategic partnerships with other parties, inter-agency coordination and forge productive working relationships
- Knowledge Management: Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Master’s degree in education, human resources, social sciences, business administration or related fields.
- Five years of relevant professional experience, three years of which should be in the area of learning and development or learning solutions and technology in an international environment;
- Experience in training design and delivery as well as in learning solutions and technology is desirable;
- Experience with volunteer-sending organizations is an advantage.
- Fluency in English;
- Proficiency in another official UN language is an asset.