HIAS, Silver Spring, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
HIAS is a global Jewish nonprofit organization working across five continents to ensure that refugees and displaced persons are protected. Throughout the United States, we help refugees reunite with families, resettle and become self-sufficient. Guided by our values and history, we help refugees rebuild their lives in safety and security and advocate to ensure that all displaced people are treated with dignity.
HIAS seeks an Immigration Legal intern to assist HIAS’ pro bono programs, which benefits refugees, asylum seekers, and other forcibly displaced persons. The intern will conduct research, assist with preparing applications for immigration benefits, and coordinate with clients who are being served by pro bono attorneys. They will be supervised by the Pro Bono Program Manager. This position is unpaid but may be pursued for academic credit. A semester commitment is required.
- Conduct thorough legal and factual research on topics assigned.
- Research and develop materials to train Pro Bono Attorneys on substantive legal issues in immigration and asylum law.
- Review, prepare, and finalize applications for client benefits submitted by Pro Bono Attorneys, including I-485 Applications for Adjustment of Status.
- Assist Pro Bono Attorney teams with client interview and client preparation of asylum claims.
- Maintain records and contribute to program reports in compliance with any applicable grants or other agreements.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Current law student, 2L or 3L.
- Strong interest in refugee law and/or processing, human rights and international law.
- Fluency in Spanish required; fluency in Russian a plus.
- Must be resourceful, thorough and analytical to develop information and obtain materials relevant to the research requested.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills required.