World Health Organization, Cairo, Egypt
Closing Date for Applications:
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The Library and Knowledge Sharing (LKS) unit under the Department of Science, Information and Dissemination (SID) aims to improve accessibility to and availability of high quality, accurate and timely health knowledge for the Regional Office, Country Offices and Member States. It works to support them in achieving the goal of health for all, to focus on strategic health priority areas and achieve the targets of Millennium Development Goals and beyond. It achieves this through the development of library systems and dissemination of health information, and through the conducting of capacity building and provision of country support.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
The incumbent will undertake the following tasks:
- Oversee and maintain Index Medicus for the Eastern Mediterranean Region (IMEMR) to ensure timely updated and completeness by:
- Preparing drafts of acknowledgement for receiving and registration of journals issues (printed/electronic), stamping, shelving, circulation, claiming for missing issues and binding of back issues;
- Ensuring batches of IMEMR journals are prepared for indexing, proof-reading and data entry clerks;
- Providing data entry support and appropriate technical processing of IMEMR Journals in electronic and print formats.
- Initiate in GSM and prepare APWs and TSAs for indexers, proof-readers and data entry clerks, including obtaining approval, submitting documentation and following up relevance transactions in GSM, as well as monitor and record receipt of deliverables and initiate payments as needed.
- Conduct quality checks and maintain the content of the online IMEMR journals information directory to ensure updated and accurate information is published in an accurate, timely, and effective manner.
- Maintain and update the computerized mailing address List of Editors-in-chief for EMR journals, by adding, deleting and updating entries of names and addresses of individuals and institutions.
- Providing support in updating, compiling, publishing and dissemination of the most recent published research in IMEMR Current Content in multiple formats quarterly.
- Coordinate and maintain arrangement and re-shelving of the IMEMR journals in the library and store.
- Guide and assist Regional Office staff, external user groups and individuals in obtaining and locating required information to ensure better utilization of IMEMR resources.
- Assist and replace other staff in charge of library services and/or administrative functions.
- Essential: Completion of secondary education or equivalent.
- Desirable: University degree in library and information sciences, business administration, social sciences or related field is an asset.
Essential: At least five years' secretarial/administrative related experience.
- Good knowledge of Computer-Based Library Systems and bibliographic databases;
- Good knowledge of internet searching tools;
- Good filing and organizational skills;
- Producing and delivering quality results in pressing situations and conflicting priorities.