The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a leading international, non-profit, non-governmental organization with Headquarters in Denmark, providing relief, protection and resettlement services to refugees and displaced persons worldwide. The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), one of the world’s leading NGOs, with a focus on responding to displacement, has been registered in Bangladesh since 2013. In 2017, in response to the Rohingya influx, DRC launched an integrated program of support to the government in site management, shelter/NFI and protection. As a key part of this, DRC opened a main office in Cox’s Bazar, and a support/liaison office in Dhaka, to carry out its operations.
Overall purpose of the role:
DRC Bangladesh is looking for an experienced technical specialist who will provide targeted and high-quality guidance, support and advice regarding our relatively new cash/voucher-based project and to seek out livelihoods’ opportunities in the Kutapalong refugee ‘megacamp’ camp and nearby host communities. Core priorities required to fulfil this role is an expectation that the specialist will be able to hit the ground running able to adapt their experience to complex, contexts both inside and outside the camps during a critical period of economic recovery programme development and implementation for DRC in Bangladesh. A stakeholder analysis would also be essential to learn the activities of other organisations, learning from their experiences and seeking potential partnerships. Someone able to conduct basic market assessments (EMMA) and assist in the development of concept notes/proposals to secure funding will be highly considered.
- Provide flexible and high quality remote and in-person technical guidance and support on cash-based and livelihoods support programming to Project Managers (PMs) and other relevant programme and operations staff
- Ensure that programme strategy and design is evolved in line with context and needs, and integrated with other DRC sectors/areas of intervention
- Provide technical oversight of programme activities; and support start up or development of new programming as required
- Lead development, harmonisation, rolling out of and training in core programme tools, guidance and standard operating procedures (SOPs) as required – especially with relation to the cash and voucher programming
- Assure compliance with DRC standards and procedures, and alignment with global strategy, including through regular coordination with colleagues in support services at Area Office and Country Office level
- Complete regular field visits to deliver technical oversight, identify needs, provide support, trouble shoot, strengthen capacity, and ensure quality programming
- Work with the team to conduct a Market Assessment in host and camp communities
Technical Line Management & Capacity Strengthening: Identify technical and/or programmatic gaps and provide training, mentoring and capacity building as required, and specifically for technical line reports
Programme Development, Coordination, and Oversight
- Lead design, finalization, and oversight and coordination of relevant proposals and projects, in coordination with Area Managers and PMs
- Lead on developing and coordinating assessments, data collection and analysis – including inter-sectoral assessments – to inform evidence-based response analysis and programme design
- Develop relevant concepts/proposals and reports and support to sector-specific donor communications
- Coordinate and ensure delivery of risk assessments and mitigation measures related to Economic Recovery programming
- Work with the MEAL team to develop harmonized tools and databases to monitor and track efficiency and quality of programming and improve information management between sector focal points
- Work closely with MEAL in potential core indicators and recommended evaluation methodologies for this sector
- Raise any issues of non-compliance and assure compliance with relevant DRC standards and procedures
- Provide regular updates to Head of Programmes and Senior Management Team (SMT)
- Any other duties as agreed with Head of Programmes
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES
- Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Professional technical experience evidencing and demonstrating ability to deliver against the above-mentioned responsibilities:
- Minimum 3 years international humanitarian field experience, with specific focus on livelihoods and cash programming
- Experience in rapidly changing humanitarian contexts, and of working with forcibly displaced people and host communities
- Pragmatic practitioner knowledge of and experience with relevant livelihoods support and cash & markets-based programming technical tools and guidance
- Substantive knowledge of relevant livelihoods approaches – including for refugees in urban and peri-urban contexts, and according to the graduation model and in support of self-reliance
- Experience delivering targeted and high-quality technical training and capacity building, including in settings with remote technical management
- Strong proposal development and report-writing skills
- Analytical thinker with realistic expectations of potential in a complex political setting
- Excellent organisational skills, ability to determine priorities and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and coordination skills, including working with different groups, partners and nationalities
- Strong experience in development of data-monitoring systems, for example Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, and kobo, an advantage
- Previous technical advisory and implementation experience in complex contexts with complex operational constraints.
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.): Master’s in social sciences, Economics, Development Studies or other relevant field
Languages: (indicate fluency level): Fluent in English
All employees are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.