Livelihoods and Food Security
Norwegian Refugee Council, Ethiopia
Closing Date for Applications:
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is present in five regions in Ethiopia, providing refugees and internally displaced people with emergency relief and help them to rebuild their lives. NRC works within the sectors of Education, Shelter, WASH, Livelihood and Food Security, ICLA (Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance), and Child Protection.
The LFS Specialist will be under the management of the Head of Programmes, Ethiopia Country Programme, with technical support from the regional LFS adviser.
- Develop the Livelihoods and Food Security strategy, technical guidance and Macro LFAs, in coordination with the other CCs Specialists.
- Identify country programme priorities, problems and challenges from a food security perspective
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to fundraising, develop and revise funding proposals, budgets and donor reports
- Identify trends, technical standards and donor priorities in the livelihoods and food security sector, and related issues such as resilience.
- Follow up on compliance with contractual commitments within the Livelihoods and Food Security Sector, ensure high technical quality and synergies in project implementation
- Provide technical direction and project implementation support
- Ensure that key learnings are extracted from Livelihoods and Food Security implementation, and incorporate them in LFS CC and staff development processes
- Provide systematic training and build capacity of technical staff
- Influence senior managers at country, regional and global levels on needs and responses
- Represent NRC in relevant forums/clusters, including with national authorities and donors
- Promote the rights of Refugees/IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Responsible for monitoring the sector specific situation in country and initiate relevant assessments to increase scope, respond to emergencies or adapt programmes to the context.
- Design relevant assessments including market assessments and analyses, and recommend appropriate response options, in particular advocate for market based approaches
- Promote and support innovation at all levels for increased programme efficiency and effectiveness
- Support the development of multi-year and integrated proposals and long term funding strategies
- Develop and support the implementation of resilience programmes in line with the response and resilience framework
- Work with the AMs, HOP and M&E Coordinator on food security project monitoring and evaluation, including baselines, end-lines, midterm reviews, lesson learning exercises and evaluations, and ensure learning informs programming design and decisions.
- Ensure high quality project implementation by working closely with the project managers and project coordinators in a technical capacity.
- Provide relevant training to field level programme staff and other relevant staff in areas of gaps identified
- Support the Emergency Programme Manager in developing Food Security (food assistance) emergency preparedness, contingency planning and response capacities and contribute to the emergency Food Security response in country.
- Ensure Cash Based Intervention procedures, standards & operational guidelines are followed and updated in accordance with NRC policies, in collaboration with all other CCs
- Relevant higher education Preferably in areas of Agriculture, Rural development, Economics or Natural Resource Management
- Minimum 5 years of experience of designing and delivering food security and/or livelihoods programmes in a humanitarian or recovery context.
- Minimum 5 years of Programme Management experience
- Agricultural / Forestry / AquacultureAgricultural / Forestry / Aquaculture
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Proven track record of setting up and implementing monitoring, documentation and learning systems
- Experienced in cash based intervention in humanitarian contexts, particularly displacement contexts
- Experience in Resilience programming, ideally related to resilient livelihoods
- Experienced in food security monitoring and analysis
- Experience from leading multi sector assessments and analysis
- Strong capacity in writing proposals and ideally leading proposal development processes
- Understanding of the dynamics of working in consortia, and some successful experience of this is essential.
- Experience with cash programming in the development/ humanitarian field
- Experience with market analysis in the humanitarian sector
- Experience with inter-agency coordination in the development/ humanitarian field
- Very strong analytical skills (experience in collecting and analysing data)