Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is currently looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player for the post Livelihoods & Food Security Coordinator based in Kismayo, Somalia.
We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong communication skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels. The duration of this post is 12 months with the possibility of extension.
The Livelihoods & Food Security (LFS) Project Coordinator will support the implementation of the LFS activities in Jubbaland, manage and build capacity of the project implementation teams to ensure activities are carried out on time and according to the budget; contribute inputs for concept papers, proposals for new projects / activities, and donor reports in coordination with the Area Manager and Livelihood and Food Security Specialist and represent NRC in all program matters within Jubbaland in coordination fora relevant to the Area program.
NRC in Somalia
NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions.
NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
Duties and responsibilities
- Line management of LFS project field staff
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to LFS strategy development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps, including on protection risks and needs to the AM.
- Manage and implement delegated portfolio of LFS projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated from AM in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality
- Help in conducting needs assessment data collection, analysis and report generation on periodic basis.
- Provide regular progress reports and flag any challenges or implementation delays to the AM and CC Specialist.
- Explore and asses new and better ways to assist projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Oversees timely, efficient and quality implementation of LFS projects and activities in Jubbaland by ensuring that all document guiding implementation such as budgets, DIPs, cash forecasts are developed and/ or periodically updated and used correctly.
- Coordinates and shares information regularly with the BRCiS Consortium Management Unit, Country level resilience focal point, and other Consortium structures as applicable
- Provides agricultural/ Natural Resource Management/ VSLA and Nutrition sensitive interventions technical backstopping and follow ups to all resilience and livelihoods and food security activities in Jubbaland.
- Review reports from field staff for quality and consistency before submission and further dissemination
- Train Livelihoods & food security field staff, partners and relevant stakeholders on basic Livelihoods & food security concepts and tools
- Responsible for compilation of budget forecasts, Bi-Weekly Reports and draft donor reports
- Works with officers in planning community meetings for beneficiaries and stakeholders
- Supervises field staff in order to aid efficient and effective service delivery to beneficiaries during project implementation
- Participates in program staff performance management as may be required
- Liaises with local leaders and authorities giving overview of project activities, seeking their support and participation where required.
- Keep track of project expenditures and flag any underspending/ overspending issues to the Area Manager.
- Oversee the beneficiary selection process, based on guidance and procedures set by the M&E Manager.
- Ensures that Baseline Surveys, Post distribution Monitoring(PDMs) and End-line surveys are carried out on time, including participating in data collection and data analysis as needed.
- Ensures that M&E plans are implemented on time, working closely with the M&E team in Jubaland.
- University degree in Agriculture, food security, natural resource management, Environmental Science/Forestry
- Minimum of 5 years’ relevant working experience, at least 2 years with a humanitarian program
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in food security and livelihoods projects.
- Experience with drafting and managing budgets.
- Well versed in donor report writing.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills (MS Word, Excel and Power point)
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Strong cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Good understanding of complex emergencies and crisis contexts with a sense of humour
- Attention to detail, flexible and creative
- Goal oriented with ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision
- Very good organizational and administrative skills
- Strong team working and support role skills
- Able to take initiative and work with limited supervision according to agreed priorities
- Able to work well under pressure and frequent travel to field offices
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Managing performance and development
- Handing insecure environments
- Planning and delivering results
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Coping with change
- Empowering and building trust