UNDP’s project “Civil Society for Enhanced Democracy and Human Rights in Ukraine” (CSDR) is aimed at comprehensively supporting civil society development in Ukraine with the purpose of contributing to democratization and better protection and promotion of human rights, as well as sustainable development as per the Global Agenda 2030.
The Project follows a human-rights-based approach to programming under which policies, processes and planned activities are anchored in the system of rights and corresponding obligations established by international law, and ensures gender-mainstreaming in all its components providing opportunities for equal participation of women and men in capacity building, advocacy and grant activities. Specific activities implemented since 2017 until 2022 are taking into account other donors’ initiatives related to this topic and specifically designed for Ukraine.
The Local Governance Specialist will be responsible for supporting the CSDR project implementation under the Democratic Governance Programme.
The incumbent will promote UNDP’s mandate as a gender-responsive organization with zero tolerance to any kind of discriminatory and abusive behaviour, including sexual harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Civil Society Project Coordinator, the incumbent will perform the following functions:
Support the oversight of the implementation of the governance-related activities of the project
- Develop civil society capacity to engage in promoting democracy and fostering participatory and result-driven Government-CSO dialogue in Ukraine;
- Analyse project components, develop project resource profiles and timelines. Assess delivery issues and work with national counterparts to build common understanding and coordination on project activities;
- Provide expert support on the issues relevant to local NGOs development, organization of grant competitions among local and national NGOs on the priority issues requiring civil society involvement;
- Provide support to coordination and monitoring of grant contests for NGOs, schedule meetings/workshops, develop agenda for workshops, participate in identification of consultants for the short-term assignments needed for the project implementation, etc.);
- Analyse the existing policies for CSO-government dialogue at subnational levels, liaise between the CSOs community and relevant national stakeholders on the implementation of the National Strategy for Civil Society Development and a propose course of action for the development of better enabling policies pertaining the civil society development;
- Contribute to the evaluation of grant project proposals, analysing project work plans and budgets.
Provide policy advice on the issues of the local democracy and governance:
- Draft policy recommendations on local governance, citizen engagement, promotion of local democracy tools as required;
- Work with civil society organizations, key government stakeholders to implement the local governance-related activities under the project and ensure successful project implementation as per Project Document;
- Contribute to project efforts on improvement of citizens’ engagement in the oversight processes (including electronic petitions, consultations etc.);
- Coordinate research and analysis, process data, elaborate necessary documentation to operationalize and steer project initiatives and activities;
- Provide technical advice, liaise with the key stakeholders and state officials, partner organizations, international and national advisors and experts in the areas of the Project intervention;
- Closely cooperate and coordinate with the stakeholders that are/will be active in project intervention to better integrate UNDP’s and other’s interventions in the area of local democracy and governance to avoid duplication.
Provide support to project development, advocacy and representation:
- Lead the process of developing knowledge products, by the codification of experiences and lessons learnt in the local governance, communications and citizen participation areas;
- Contribute to project implementation in line with project documentation and approved work-plans;
- Communicate effectively with local authorities, communities and other partners;
- Contribute to the preparation of the project work-plans and up-dates;
- Participate in PR and media activities as required by the project needs;
- Ensure quality assessment of the products produced by project’s external consultants;
- Demonstrate respect for gender equality in professional interactions, identify and address sexism and gender discrimination;
- Ensure the project/programme contributes to the promotion of gender equality by reaching, involving, and benefiting both women and men;
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor, and UNDP Ukraine management.
- Measurable outputs of the work assignment:
- One full cycle of granting is ensured within 12 months of the Programme;
- Grant projects are implemented successfully, and proper reports submitted in a timely manner and in accordance with the UNDP Standard Operating Procedures;
- Comprehensive study regarding the civil society and citizen engagement as well as state of local democracy in the regions is conducted;
- Quality of thematic learning and knowledge sharing materials;
- Project-related analytical materials are timely prepared and disseminated;
- Programmatic activities are duly overseen, timely enhanced, and properly reported.
- Performance Indicators for evaluation of results:
- Relevant outputs of the project annual work plan are fully and timely implemented;
- Funds delivery under the first and second activity of CSDR project is reached 100%;
- CSDR operational requirements are carried out in strict accordance with UNDP rules and procedures;
- Project technical activities are implemented in a timely manner with an emphasis on measurable results and quality, and properly reported;
- Quality of work;
- Partnering and networking;
- Measurable indicators to be developed on the annual basis in line with the project work plan as part of target setting for performance evaluation purposes.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in political sciences, public administration, law, international relations, social sciences or related field.
- A minimum of three (3) years of relevant progressively responsible experience at the national and/or international level in project/programme formulation, management, operations, development or related areas;
- Experience in the area of local democracy and governance in Ukraine, as well as citizen participation and engagement with national or international institution;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel);
- Experience with municipalities, non-profit organizations will be a strong asset.
- Language Requirements:
- Fluency in English and Ukrainian languages is required, fluency in Russian is desired.