Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role:
The DFID 'Delivering Accelerated Family Planning in Pakistan (DAFPAK): Lot 2 Public Sector Service Delivery' is a part of the DAFPAK programme. The 4-year programme aims to increase access to family planning services; and improve quality of client-centred services such that more women, including adolescents are able to safely plan their pregnancies and improve their sexual reproductive health. The expected outcome for the programme is 11.9 million CYPs generated by expanded access to FP services; 55,000 additional users of family planning and an increase in modern CPR from 26.1 at the baseline to 33.9.
- Palladium and its consortium partners will strengthen the quality of service provision in the public sector (across 30+ districts in three provinces Punjab, Sindh and KPK) by:
- Increasing access to FP services:
- Building capacities of government health/FP facility staff on integration of services, improving clinical quality and expanding the range of contraceptives offered.
- Training community workers (LHWs) to expand the FP services that they offer.
- Establishing new procedures in health facilities to better integrate services.
- Improved quality of client-centered FP services:
- Building capacities of the government health/FP facility staff on client-centered/unbiased counselling.
- Building capacities of community workers on better, client-centered/unbiased counselling.
- Building capacities of government health/FP facility staff on improving clinical quality.
- Improving quality assurance systems involving district health management teams, including clinical waste management.
- Beyond building capacities of district health teams, health facility staff and community-based workers. The project will focus on sustainably changing behaviours of providers, systemic changes and commitments through engagement with and TA to district and provincial level governments, health management teams, providers and communities.
Key Responsibilities, Duties and Tasks:
The role of the Logistics and Operations Officer is to play a lead role in coordinating the logistics, event management, procurement and administrative services for DAFPAK so that project activities can be implemented to ensure smooth and good quality project delivery. The position is responsible to ensure essential business support services are provided to the project in compliance with the corporate policies of Palladium as well as that of DFID.
The Logistics and Operations Officer will plan, coordinate and deliver the logistical arrangements for DAFPAK related events, travel, workshops/trainings etc. to the highest quality keeping in line with Palladium and DFID policies. The Officer will be expected to develop a monthly logistical calendar in accordance with the project's workplan while working in close coordination with the Finance and Operations Advisor and the Palladium corporate team to ensure effective procurement planning, vendor sourcing, high quality standards for the goods and services being solicited, and price negotiations for best value for money. The Officer will also lead the general admin support services including vehicle management, record management, dealing with the authorized vendor, regular contacts with other Palladium core functions mainly the security team so that business support services are delivered in a coherent manner.
Details of the key responsibilities include:
- Ensure the smooth and adequate flow of information to facilitate logistics and operations of the project.
- Define, agree and deliver logistical support services that includes travel arrangements (air, road, international/national), accommodation, venue hiring, arrangement of required office equipment/supplies at the venue etc. that meet the operational needs of the project.
- Implement policies/procedures for logistical and operational management in line with the Operational Manual for DAFPAK.
- Manage fluctuations in demand within the resources available including responding to the emergencies. This will require managing and resolving conflicting logistical needs.
- Disseminate mandatory tools/templates for event management, travel, accommodation, venue hire etc. within the team and making sure that they are well-understood by the team. Ensure all paperwork is complete and filed, with proper security approval before organising any travel.
- Lead on vehicle management of project cars based in Islamabad. Oversee vehicle log books and ensure these are maintained. Maintenance schedules and safety standards must be implemented for all vehicles.
- Coordinate with Palladium Corporate Team and the Security Manager in case of mobilisation of International Experts and processing of visa applications and applicable follow-ups. Making sure any challenges and bottlenecks are conveyed/addressed well in time.
- Lead logistics arrangements for international experts. This will be done in close coordination with the Security Manager and Team Leader.
- Devise and use workable procurement strategy in line with the Palladium corporate guidelines and Head Contracts Incidentals thresholds.
- Review of existing contracts being used by Palladium and test their level of effectiveness. Hold subsequent consultations with Palladium team and Finance and Operations Advisor on way forward.
- Collaborate with the DAFPAK project team to ensure clarity of the specifications and expectations of the goods and services.
- Foresee alterations in the comparative negotiating ability of the vendors.
- Perform risk management for supply contracts and agreements.
- Control spend in coordination with the Finance Manager and build a culture of long-term saving on logistics costs.
- Build positive relations with vendors and other relevant stakeholders.
- Devise and use workable procurement strategy in line with the Palladium corporate guidelines and budget thresholds.
- Identify cost effective vendors mainly under travel, accommodations, printing, translation services, stationary, office supplies and equipment and initiate cases for their pre-qualification.
- Lead on procurement process starting from solicitation of purchase requisitions, their due diligence, solicitation of quotes, comparative analysis, and finalisation of procurement proceedings and issuance of purchase orders.
- Negotiate with the external vendors to secure favourable and cost-effective corporate terms.
- Track and report key functional metric to reduce expenses and improve effectiveness.
- Collaborate with Subai TAT to ensure clarity of the specifications and expectations of the goods and services.
- Foresee alterations in the comparative negotiating ability of the vendors.
- Perform due diligence as per Palladium's policies for supply vendors, contracts and agreements.
- Control spend in coordination with the Finance and Contracts Managers and build a culture of long-term saving on procurement costs.
- Manage inventory of stationary, office supplies and equipment and maintain stock in the office.
- Provision of equipment, office space to long-term staff. This will be managed in consultation with the Finance Manager who will lead on the Contracts Management side.
- Ensure clearance of mobile phone bills, claims by vendors and ensure timely payment of utility bills as applicable.
- Provide general support to visitors.
- Address queries regarding office management issues (e.g. stationary, hardware and travel arrangements).
- Plan in-house or off-site meetings in close coordination with the Team Leader.
- Assist in the recruitment of personnel - both long term and short term for the project.
- Ensure all recruitment processes for Palladium are followed and all paperwork is maintained in hardcopy.
- Coordinate with candidates on obtaining their relevant documentation for to ensure all HR files are complete.
- To ensure effective record management with respect to logistics, procurement and admin.
- Work closely with Finance Manager on regular basis in provisioning of such records specifically during audits.
- Maintain the project asset register and ensure this is up to date and accurate on a monthly basis.
- Asset/Inventory Management and maintenance of the asset/inventory register in accordance with Palladium Corporate policies.
- Ensure gifts and hospitality registers are maintained.
Maintaining Good Relationships:
- Build good relationships with the DAFPAK project team, vendors and other stakeholders.
- Work closely with the Logistics and Operations Officers in the provinces and facilitate them where possible and necessary.