Current Hiring Practices and Trends in the Development Sector
- BY David Mackenzie
The Senior Associate for International Finance supports the International Finance department as one of the key liaisons for the Africa region, providing financial management, including processing, review and analysis of financial transactions. Key areas of responsibility include supporting overseas office accounting, supporting IPD in the management of external awards, and supporting New Business Development for proposal budget development. Knowledge of US Government rules and regulations, grant management and compliance is required. Knowledge of French is desirable.
New Business Development Support
1. Deep Commitment to LWR’s core values and ability to model those values in relationships with colleagues and partners.
2. Superior analytical skills, attention to detail, and strong work ethic
3. Accounting knowledge is required; high proficiency in using general ledger packages such as MIP and QuickBooks is required.
4. High proficiency in Excel and other Microsoft Office applications.
5. Four to five years in accounting and financial management with experience in non-profit accounting preferred.
6. Bachelor’s degree in a related field or the equivalent. A master’s degree is highly desirable High proficiency in Excel and other Microsoft Office applications
7. Knowledge of US government grant-making rules and regulations is required.
8. Overseas work experience with an international relief and development agency is a plus.
9. Demonstrated management skills in a multi-cultural context.
10. Ability to effectively represent organization to internal and external audiences
11. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with local and /or international non-governmental organizations, community-based organizations, and other grassroots organizations.
12. Ability to develop and deliver effective training curricula on finance and administrative topics, especially to a finance audience
13. Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills
14. Fluency of French and/or Spanish is highly preferable
15. Willingness and ability to travel internationally, at least 20% of the time to countries where LWR works. Travel may be to countries that are experiencing political instability and have poor infrastructure including poor road conditions, limited amenities and poor housing accommodations. In addition, the travel may be to countries where infectious diseases or vector-borne diseases are present. Travel may be required to locales that experience extreme temperatures (either hot or cold) and high altitudes.
16. Experience with and commitment to working in a diverse and multi-cultural environment.
17. Familiarity with Lutheran theology, church structures, and church member motivations and sensitivities preferred.